1880 S Morgan

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I went out to a few garage sales yesterday. Looking through a table with a bunch of collectibles, baseball cards, comics, vintage toys, etc. Most were priced pretty high. I took a quick lap around the table, and didn't see anything. On the second lap I moved some comic books and there were 3 very cheap pocket watches. I flipped 1 watch over and saw this stuck in it. I bought all three watches for $5.00. By the way I immediately popped it out of the watch and put it in a holder. I only noticed this after scanning the coin, what's up with the eagle's neck? It looks like a goose. I know where to look up the value but can anyone tell from the pictures what grade it is?

Attachments

• 1880 obverse.jpg
    1880 obverse.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 520
  • 1880 reverse.jpg
    1880 reverse.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 0

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o :o :o :o Like new probably a MS or a Fine looked like Brand new Put it in a holder Immediately thats ya best bet

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Hard to tell what grade it is from the pics but I say it's AU at the worst. Could be MS. HH!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
According to the RedBook they are worth about 20-40 dollars depending on condition.

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would grade it at XF. When grading Morgans, you want to pay particular attention to the Eagle breast and wing detail on the reverse and the temple hairline on the obverse for starters.

Take a look at my collection posted at:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,91477.0.html

copy above url and paste into browser or navigate over to MY Collections on Tnet forum

HH from M2

R

RUDY2003

Fantastic find Baddog!!!!!
They didn't know what they had....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread