1881 Treasure Map?

David Scott

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2024
For going on two decades I have owned a wooden carving which I am very sure to be a map of some sorts.
PXL_20240415_163829523~2.jpg
PXL_20240415_163829523~4.jpg
PXL_20240415_165649397~2.jpg

I'm a wood carver and bought this " humidor" for the beauty of the carving. I soon noticed that several intricately carved items were "jigged out" which is erasing what was carved. Why erase such intricately carved items from a humidor?
There was an owl sitting on a limb looking back over his shoulder which was jigged out but still decernable.
I believe these were caches which were removed.
On the bottom is a date of 1881 and maybe something else not readable which I would like to examine under spectrum light to see if it becomes readable.
What do you folks think of this carved wooden map?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
An interesting theory.

In what way do you think this would relate to a specific location? Is there a carved item which would indicate a specific state, county or town in a state?

What other items are carved on the sides and top?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself I have no idea but WELCOME to treasurenet

OP
OP
David Scott

David Scott

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2024
An interesting theory.

In what way do you think this would relate to a specific location? Is there a carved item which would indicate a specific state, county or town in a state?

It is a puzzle and a jumping off place would be nice, but I have no history of this carving.
Why erase such intricately carved items?
I suspect most caches have probably been recovered, these being the jigging out items, but there are still items like "sunflower" which I will share. Sunflower Plantation, River, County?
One other thing, I've been trained to look for Owls and Bells. The Owl was carved out but is recognizable and the Bell is the mushroom.
I'm wanting to share and would like to see some believing brains to help figure this out.
It's a map I'm telling you...

OP
OP
David Scott

David Scott

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2024
An interesting theory.

For going on two decades I have owned a wooden carving which I am very sure to be a map of some sorts. View attachment 2144554 View attachment 2144555 View attachment 2144556
I'm a wood carver and bought this " humidor" for the beauty of the carving. I soon noticed that several intricately carved items were "jigged out" which is erasing what was carved. Why erase such intricately carved items from a humidor?
There was an owl sitting on a limb looking back over his shoulder which was jigged out but still decernable.
I believe these were caches which were removed.
On the bottom is a date of 1881 and maybe something else not readable which I would like to examine under spectrum light to see if it becomes readable.
What do you folks think of this carved wooden map?

Attachments

• PXL_20240426_163029518.jpg
    PXL_20240426_163029518.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 7

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Freedom III, Garrett ADS Groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it is possible that your humidor is a treasure map, it won't do you much good without a reference point or something that indicates what the map applies to.

Something produced in 1881 could have been a heirloom brought over from Europe. The carving techniques remind me of some of the German Black Forest cuckoo clocks I've seen.

OP
OP
David Scott

David Scott

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2024
While it is possible that your humidor is a treasure map, it won't do you much good without a reference point or something that indicates what the map applies to.

Something produced in 1881 could have been a heirloom brought over from Europe. The carving techniques remind me of some of the German Black Forest cuckoo clocks I've seen.
I think you may have looked at this carving when I showed parts of it some years ago as you are giving the same exact response I got from a treasure hunter back then.
Regardless, there is a Bell, there is an Owl and something is very as suspicious here ,is what I'm saying.
You can dismiss or even dissuade the evidence which suggest this to be a map to yourself, but to many other folks see it also. I've even been the nearly victim of a robbery due to this carving.
I'm willing to show this entire map now and hope someone can make something of it. I would be thrilled if someone understood and relate this to a civil war era treasure.

It's a map I'm telling you...

Attachments

• PXL_20240426_162540163.jpg
    PXL_20240426_162540163.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread