What's new

1884 0 Silver Dollar

Cat J

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
789
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I found this 1884 0 Morgan at a pawn shop today. I told the guy I would go look it up and would let him know if I was interested. I didn't think I would be since I felt he was asking to much for it. He wants $59 for it but book says 20 to 30.

Thanks
Cat
 
Upvote 0
Try this new thing called Coin Roll Hunting. I found an 1845-O in a roll once. ::) ;D
 
In a roll of what? Are you talking half dollars cause we are talking dollar.
Cat
 
Pawn shops, flea markets, some antiques dealers, they sometimes do the same thing when pricing stuff. They get a guide and way overprice the dollar amount they see listed.

When I used to get comics I often found the most inflated prices at places that didn't sell comics as their main business. Some flea market person would get a copy of Overstreet's guide and they would put the highest price listed on a comic, regardless of grade. That $59 price you see at the pawn shop for the dollar coin may just be the mint price from an older price book.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)
 
You want advice? Sure! Go ahead and buy it.
 
I would buy it for $20 but not $60.

It is not in MS conditon. Looks like it has been dipped in silver cleaner.

Cat
 
Cat J said:
In a roll of what? Are you talking half dollars cause we are talking dollar.
Cat
.......LOL........ I got an 1883-0 at a bank last year. The teller said she had a "funny looking dollar". I'll take all the funny looking ones they have for that price (PS, it's looks a lot better in person).
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_34.webp
    ScreenHunter_34.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 334
Cat J said:
In a roll of what? Are you talking half dollars cause we are talking dollar.
Cat

My bad... I thought it was a half dollar! I guess thats what I get for trying to be comical.
 
I found an 1883 playing in the sand at San Blaz Island off the coast of Panama about 30 years ago.

HH
Cat
 
A lot of pawn shops give loans on items to people who need money.
If a pawn shop buys they pay next to nothing, if they feel there is a good chance that person is going to come back for an item they make a loan on it. and the pawny then makes payments on it, usualy at a super high interest rate for small loans.
This often can leave more money than something is worth as a balance on an item, and or the pawny figures its not worth it at some point. Pawn shops also often make mistakes.
If they need to get say %30 on an item it does not matter what it is, they need to make there margin and will price accordingly,
This is why you will find things at pawn shops used selling for more than Retail new elsewhere.

But that age old mentality sets it, I found it at a pawnshop, it must be treasure or a good deal, and believe it or not it still sells.

There is an entire pawny culture out there that lives buys and sells just the pawnshop.
These are people who see Walmart is "high end" and would never think of setting foot in a store that offers "new" stuff as thats going to be expensive.
Little do they know they are paying full retail for second hand.
 
Lots of them on ebay for melt value or less...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom