What's new

1885 V nickel

peanut

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
418
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1885 V nickel. How should I clean it? It books for $550 in G-4.
Thanks, peanut
 

Attachments

  • 100_2039.webp
    100_2039.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 791
  • 100_2040.webp
    100_2040.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 807
  • 100_2024.webp
    100_2024.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 100_2039.webp
    100_2039.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 775
  • 100_2040.webp
    100_2040.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 0
I never do more than rinse coins off with dish soap and warm water. There's some excellent metal cleaners on the market, but you clean the value right off the coin along with the dirt.
 
If you can see the date. GOOD ENOUGH, LEAVE IT ALONE! You have a highly sought after coin. Can you post a close up?
 
WTG on that find, and don't clean it up that much it will lose value.
 
V nickles DO NOT clean up well under any circumstances. They flake just touching them . Extra-virgin olive oil is what we use here in Mass. to preserve right out of the soil. I have found about 10 V nickles with-in the date range and every one is barely readable. Good luck.
 
DO NOT CLEAN!! You could clean the date right off it. Put in a 2x2 and call it good. You have a highly sought after coin.
 
As I'm sure you are already aware, that is THE key date in Liberty Head nickels. Congrats! How about a little better pic of both the front and back and maybe a little more writeup on your find. Oh, and about cleaning it? DON'T
 
Nova said:
If you can see the date. GOOD ENOUGH, LEAVE IT ALONE! You have a highly sought after coin. Can you post a close up?
You can just barely make out the date, I don't know how to get a better pic, any ideas?
 
banner find .......cant believe nobody said it yet
 
drgest said:
As I'm sure you are already aware, that is THE key date in Liberty Head nickels. Congrats! How about a little better pic of both the front and back and maybe a little more writeup on your find. Oh, and about cleaning it? DON'T
I was actually looking for civil war relics along a creek pretty close to an old church. There was supposed to be a skirmish that went through the area. I also dug a 1897 V almost in the same hole, was'nt expecting either one.
 
Congrats on a great find. I'm still looking for my first.

WTG!!

Dr. Ace
 
Dr. Ace said:
Congrats on a great find. I'm still looking for my first.

WTG!!

Dr. Ace
Thanks Doc
peanut
 
I have found 2 V nickles this year in about the same condition and tried to clean them and it only made them worse. Congrats on an amazing find :thumbsup:
 
pinebarrens1 said:
banner find .......cant believe nobody said it yet
Thanks a million, but I don't think it's really banner material. But thanks for the vote.
sincerely, peanut
 
Nice key date I'll vote banner also you don't see very many of them.A scanner can make a really clear picture.....Kevin
 
The only V nickle I have that is half way decent is one I found recently. It had a IH penny and a wheaty on either side. This preserved it well. Most dug V nickles don,t cleaned up well. Get a current price book, check the price for the lowest grade and the next one up (it is definitely not top grade if dug and you want to clean it), if you like the price get it professionally cleaned. Keep an eye out for those key date coins.

Ed D.
 

Attachments

  • 1897 LH V.webp
    1897 LH V.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 782

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom