What's new

1885 V nickel

peanut

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
418
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1885 V nickel. How should I clean it? It books for $550 in G-4.
Thanks, peanut
 

Attachments

  • 100_2039.webp
    100_2039.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 791
  • 100_2040.webp
    100_2040.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 807
  • 100_2024.webp
    100_2024.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 100_2039.webp
    100_2039.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 775
  • 100_2040.webp
    100_2040.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 0
Same here ,I found one last year in about that same condition but I let mine go for only 80 bucks. I have been kicking myself ever since....
 
Wow peanut, that is a great find. I think I can safely say that the ratio of 1877 indians, 1916-d mercs and 1914-d lincolns being found to any key date nickel being found is probably 20 to 1. You gots my banner vote! :thumbsup:
 
Even though you're being modest you've got my banner vote. Definitely a "key" key date coin. I think there is maybe some cleaning potential after having seen you're most recent pics but only by a professional. I'd see your most local PNG dealer.

http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php
 
Congrats man! i would love to dig a key date coin! im voting banner i have never seen a key date V posted on this site and to me thats what its all about man! congrats again :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Dont clean it just leave it alone. Worth more like it is. WTG on the find. :headbang:
 
Congrats on the great find!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

It's a shame that nickels pit and corrode in the ground like they do. If you want to bring out the details a little more with your camera, use oblique light - that is light shining across the face at an angle. It can really bring out faint highlights.

Nice job!!
 
Re: Updated pics of 1885 V nickel

peanut said:
Carver said:
Great find Peanut!!!! I found one last year that made the Banner on here,,,,,,I sold mine for $130 to a coin collector :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
What grade was it?

It graded as Good :thumbsup:
 
WTG Peanut!

I dug the 1886 V in my avatar last year.

I have to agree with whoever advised you to find your closest PNG dealer. Good advise.

The 1886 was my first Liberty Nickel, since then I've dug 7 or 8 more. Two are very clean, and one was still mostly silver and shiny! Of course that one was in a coin purse that I dug.

Congrats on the King of Nickels! You have my banner vote for sure.

Good Luck,
Mark
 
WTG on the key date coin. I found a key date (1872) 2 center my first week. Take the guys advise, get it graded and cleaned bye someone who deals with this stuff everyday. HH and keep on searchin!!!
 
WTG on a rare coin find. You don't see one of these very often, anywhere :hello2:
 
sorry to bring up an old thread but wanted to post my find,1886 key date v nickel.who should i talk to about selling this and what is the value in this condition?
DSCF0637.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0638.jpg
 
I would say maybe $50-$100. That may be too high as well as I would grade that AG-1 (corroded)
 
Coins like this have quite a bit of environmental damage. Many of the coins that are made out of copper and nickel will come out of the ground in similar condition to your example. Unfortunately for us coin hunters, finds like this lose a tremendous amout of value after all the many years of dirt exposure. It is also true that professional coin graders like PCGS will not grade many of the dug coins...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom