What's new

1889 Exposition Universelle

CoolFrayers

Full Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
114
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bloomsburg, Pa
A friend found this and asked if I could find out exactly what it is.
Told her you guys are the best and I would not be surprised if you knew tonight. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • goodfront (2).webp
    goodfront (2).webp
    60.8 KB · Views: 753
  • BackSubmit (2).webp
    BackSubmit (2).webp
    70.3 KB · Views: 627
1889 republic of france university exposition medal --award for some type of college level contest in france in 1889 (bronze ) is normally 3rd place --silver 2nd --gold 1st.

the makers name is on it --who made it.

green check time-- solved

solved in 2 min and 41 secs not too bad. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Sorry, at a hotel and got disconnected, was editing original post.
I think we need a quickest solved award :tongue3:
What she was more curious about was is it worth anything.
I think maybe they were searching for university exposition instead of Exibition Universelle, who knows.
I found a premo on, so I will tell her not to put a downpayment on a new car with it, lol.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1889-EXPOSITION-UNIVERSELLE-PARIS-BRONZE-MEDAL-/190507574739

Wonder how many gold there were, I am off to search....


It appears there are differences between the medals I am finding...little ones. The name on the back is different, did they have different people making different medals for Gold, Silver and Bronze? Still trying to find a gold......


Thanks! :p
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
NJ Schloss & Co. were NYC clothing merchants.

Here is another description of that piece-

http://www.exonumia.com/sale11/allb.htm

1475. NY N. J. Schloss / Paris Universal Exposition Medal, 1889. Copy of the medal given to N. J. Schloss & Co., New York City boy's clothing merchants. "Exposition Universalle" above seated, draped woman crowning semi-nude man with laurel wreath, above "1889" over the Eiffel Tower and exposition grounds, in background are a tree, book, lamp, painter's pallet, etc. / "Republique Francaise" to left, star above naked angel blowing trumpet, left hand holding wreath around pillar surmounted by bust of France, tree to right, with "N. J. Schloss" where there was an insert die on the original medal. Appears to have been issued as a fob, and loop subsequently removed. A different variety listed by Rulau, but not illustrated. 31 mm, brass. Brown VF/XF. $25.00-30.00+
COMMENT: See other lot 1476 for original examples of this medal

others have been found and posted on Tnet:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,317771.0.html
 
Upvote 0
research tip for the future ** coins NORMALLY have a "value" of worth printed upon them --- medals and medalloins do not. :wink: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom