Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I went out yesterday with Rodeo Recon to track down an old homestead in a cornfield we had permission to hunt. As the spring window closes on us, I'm determined to hunt or rehunt all the field spots that I can. (Because I know that ticks, heat, and deadfall from the ice storm await us in the woods this summer :()

So we got out in the field. :) It was a beautiful day. Here's a shot of Rodeo in the massive field:

Rodeo.jpg

Pretty soon I had a flat button, and was feeling pretty good about it, when some IH's started to come up. Here are some photos of two of them. (We ended up giving these coins and some other items to the property owner.)

IH dirt.jpg

IH.jpg

Next thing I know I hear Rodeo yell "Coin!" and when I came over I saw this:

Nickel.jpg

Nickel1.jpg

We hoped it would be Shield Nickel #8, but it was a "V." 1893.

Then I walked up on a cool little find. Normally I can expect to see an occasional shard of blue pottery or glass in a field, but this little beauty was a total surprise. I thought it was a robin's egg at first, the way it's perched on the corn stalks (was it somehow moved by a harvesting machine?). Here are some cool shots. It is a Bennington marble (glazed pottery)--late 1800s/early 1900s. :)

Ben.jpg

Ben1.jpg

Ben2.jpg

Rodeo also made a Very Cool surface find--it's a bird. I didn't get a photo of it in situ, but here it is before he cleaned it up. I think it is made of clay and hand painted. :thumbsup:

Bird.jpg

Then I got the center portion of a pair of lead knuckles. ;D We found some more buttons, lantern pieces, toe taps, harmonica reeds, and spoon pieces. I had a decent hit, dug the plug, and out flopped a BIG copper!

LC in dirt.jpg

LC1.jpg

It seems like LC's have rained down on me in droves lately--but earlier this spring and during the late fall I had a bit of a LC drought. Funny how that works. Interesting thing is that every single copper has been a Matron Head this year--except for one Draped LC. Last year, every single LC was a Braided Hair. ::)

Well this coin was likewise a Matron Head, dated 1820. :thumbsup:

We hunted until signals were slim to none, then we packed up the gear and headed home. Here is a photo of all of our finds:

Finds Uncl.jpg

More Photos appear in the first reply below:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a close-up photo of the coins, buttons, etc:

1.jpg

And a photo of all the finds, after cleaning. Rodeo's clay bird turned out really well:

2.jpg

When I was cleaning the center part of the lead knuckles I found, I noticed some writing scratched in... Well, it turns out that the knuckles were personalized. The name is "J. J. SNYD____" (the rest was broken off, or used to melt and cast bullets). I would imagine that the last name is probably "SNYDER" or possibly "SNYDOW." I may need some help tracking this individual down. Hopefully he'll show up on a census.

3.jpg

Either way, it's a way cool piece. 8) A better quality photo or two of just my portion of the finds, and that nice 1820s lady:

4.jpg

5.jpg

Best Wishes to you all,

Buckles

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another great hunt BB, you guys always seem to find excellent finds!! Nice LC and assortment of finds!!!

HH Joe

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Some nice digs, and a pretty lady. She is young enough to be the daughter of the one I found on Thursday!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds this time BB. That marble had to stand out on top of the ground. Nice coin!!! HH.

PA

Mar 18, 2009
hi buckle boy,

you and your friend had a good day. i like the big penny. me and keith found a few more todya. go get more now. :thumbsup:

henry

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Some super relics there. Way to go. As far as that "J.J. Snyd" piece, it must be my grandfathers. My last name is Snyder, and my money says that was the last name on that piece. My grandfather was so poor he couldn't afford the whole piece. ;D :tongue3:
Great post guys. :thumbsup:
-MM-

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Buck - congrats to you and Rodeo on the great digs. Looks like you two had some great diggin' weather as well. I hope you find some info about the knuckles - definitely my favorite of the finds today... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
I hope you are able to find some information on J.J. Sny......

Most of the lead knuckles I see are recovered from the context of wartime camps. I see relatively fewer examples recovered from homesites, etc.

I cannot wait to to if J.J. can be identified from census records, and to see if he had any kind of military record.

You may have just encountered early thuggery, and when you saw J.J. sitting on a fence by the side of the road in 1840, you went the other way.

I'm working on Mr. J.J. I havent found anything out yet about him yet, but something is bound to turn up in the next few days. This is the second example that has surfaced at an old homesite in the past month. It is Very odd that they should turn up in such quick succession. I have hunted CW camps for a decade and a half in four different states, and had never found one before.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BB,
Some super relics there. Way to go. As far as that "J.J. Snyd" piece, it must be my grandfathers. My last name is Snyder, and my money says that was the last name on that piece. My grandfather was so poor he couldn't afford the whole piece. ;D :tongue3:
-MM-

Hey, funny you should say that. I thought of you Immediately when I saw what the name was! Did you have a great grandfather who sat on fences waiting for unsuspecting passers-by that he could Maul? :D

-Buckles

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BB,
-MM-

Hey, funny you should say that. I thought of you Immediately when I saw what the name was! Did you have a great grandfather who sat on fences waiting for unsuspecting passers-by that he could Maul? :D

-Buckles

Indeed I did BB. Grandpa James was so poor and po'd at his rough life that he would "tenderize" others and take their money as they passed by. That's how he earned the name "Jabbing Jim Snyder". :tongue3: ;D
-MM-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BB,
-MM-

-Buckles

Indeed I did BB. Grandpa James was so poor and po'd at his rough life that he would "tenderize" others and take their money as they passed by. That's how he earned the name "Jabbing Jim Snyder". :tongue3: ;D
-MM-

ROFL at "Jabbing Jim." :D :thumbsup:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking us along with you guys on the hunt..(with pics and commentary anyway)
Congrats on some interesting finds..... particularly the brass nucks and the 1820 Matron Head.
Look forward to your next posts. HH Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cool to find anything with a name on it. The surface finds like the marble are a extra bonus. Field hunting is
my favorite. Congrats on a great hunt.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
Buck - congrats to you and Rodeo on the great digs. Looks like you two had some great diggin' weather as well. I hope you find some info about the knuckles - definitely my favorite of the finds today... :thumbsup:

Ya, my favorite here as well. We had some wonderful weather here--but of course it is a double-edged sword. Each nice day means that more of the fields will have been planted, and each ray of sunshine and warm weather we get means that the woods will have more underbrush, poison ivy, and ticks in them waiting for us this summer. :tard:

I will have a bit of time to research the name after end-of-term. How's it going in your neck of the woods?

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread