What's new

18K ring mystery...SOLVED Plated brass

smcdmc

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2011
Messages
304
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this from an old yard that dates back to the early 19th century from a depth of about 7". I scrubbed with soap and water and then tried a couple short soaks in hot peroxide but it really didn't do much other than take off the dry dirt. It is fairly heavy for the size and is non magnetic. The part I am curious about is on the inside of the band is stamped 18K. It is obviously not gold. Why the 18K mark?

Shane
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9513.webp
    IMG_9513.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_9516.webp
    IMG_9516.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_9517.webp
    IMG_9517.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_9518.webp
    IMG_9518.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 415
Re: 18K ring mystery

File a small section on the edge and see if you get the shine of gold.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

SeaninNH said:
File a small section on the edge and see if you get the shine of gold.


I'll try that, but if it was gold would it tarnish like that?

Shane
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

It was probably gold plate over brass. I have seen them before like that.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

creskol said:
It was probably gold plate over brass. I have seen them before like that.


It was probably gold plated and sold as gold. Plated gold comes off because the base metal corrodes, solid gold does not tarnish, Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

I have found 10 and 14k that have been completely black, it all depends what it landed on when it fell. and what acids are in the ground
kent
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

creskol said:
It was probably gold plate over brass. I have seen them before like that.

That's exactly what it is. Here are a couple of explanations, on these mostly late 19th C brass rings.
1. poor man's ring
2. sold as gold by tricksters
3. during times of war (like the CW), the man would leave his valuable ring with his wife & kids. That way, if he were not to return, they had something to buy food with. The brass versions (gold plated) would be worn to War, showing he is still faithful/married but more fool him who robbed a dead body of a brass ring.
4. other reasons, I'm sure
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

Tony in SC said:
creskol said:
It was probably gold plate over brass. I have seen them before like that.


It was probably gold plated and sold as gold. Plated gold comes off because the base metal corrodes, solid gold does not tarnish, Tony
Gold does tarnish :icon_thumleft: Gold plated ring, could be for many reasons...but I like Cru's :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

I found one too. It cleaned up nice and looks like gold and is stamped 18k. Very nice details on it. Took it to a jeweler and had it tested with acid. He said it was a counterfiet ring, quite common in that period around the turn of the century.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 18K ring mystery

Thanks everyone. After some additional, ie somewhat aggressive, cleaning I can definitely say it is not solid gold. Additionally, I can see some faint areas of gold plate still in place. So, I am satisfied that it is gold plated brass, and like Crusaders explanations for it. Thanks again.

Shane
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom