What's new

1909 New York Times Essay Medal

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
925
Golden Thread
1
Location
NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Hi All,

I was out in a colonial field that I only get to hunt for a short time, since they only cut the hay once. Anyways I got a 92 signal on my deus 2 and out popped this nice looking medal. It is only one of one thousand made. In 1909 New York Times ran an essay for kids and had them write about Lincoln. They gave these out to the top 1000 entrants. It seems there were over 10,000 entries. I have included a link if you would like to learn more. The medal was made by Tiffany and company.
If I can find a member of the original owner I will return it to them.

https://www.richardwfox.com/essay-contest

Happy hunting and thanks for looking!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6166.webp
    IMG_6166.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_6167.webp
    IMG_6167.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6162.webp
    IMG_6162.webp
    2 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_6164.webp
    IMG_6164.webp
    2 MB · Views: 137
Upvote 34
Hi All,

I was out in a colonial field that I only get to hunt for a short time, since they only cut the hay once. Anyways I got a 92 signal on my deus 2 and out popped this nice looking medal. It is only one of one thousand made. In 1909 New York Times ran an essay for kids and had them write about Lincoln. They gave these out to the top 1000 entrants. It seems there were over 10,000 entries. I have included a link if you would like to learn more. The medal was made by Tiffany and company.
If I can find a member of the original owner I will return it to them.

https://www.richardwfox.com/essay-contest

Happy hunting and thanks for looking!!
stuff like this is why we detect, cool find
 
A awesome and historic find and it's a nice chunk of Tiffany silver at that, it could only get better if you found his family to return it!

It is a very rare medal and I'm sure not many were ever lost and any more will ever be found so I also think this should be on the BANNER!
 
A awesome and historic find and it's a nice chunk of Tiffany silver at that, it could only get better if you found his family to return it!

It is a very rare medal and I'm sure not many were ever lost and any more will ever be found so I also think this should be on the BANNER!
Thank you for such kind words and for the Banner vote. I do hope I can locate the family as well. When I researched what it was and how many were made it just blew my mind.
 
Your attitude about looking for the original owner is why the treasure gods smiled down upon you that day! Thanks for sharing your find.
 
Your attitude about looking for the original owner is why the treasure gods smiled down upon you that day! Thanks for sharing your find.
Thank you for your kind words. No luck yet, but will continue the search. In my forty years of detecting, I have not sold one item, so I will have the medal all along.
 
Hi All,

I was out in a colonial field that I only get to hunt for a short time, since they only cut the hay once. Anyways I got a 92 signal on my deus 2 and out popped this nice looking medal. It is only one of one thousand made. In 1909 New York Times ran an essay for kids and had them write about Lincoln. They gave these out to the top 1000 entrants. It seems there were over 10,000 entries. I have included a link if you would like to learn more. The medal was made by Tiffany and company.
If I can find a member of the original owner I will return it to them.

https://www.richardwfox.com/essay-contest

Happy hunting and thanks for looking!!
Amazing 😻
 
Fantastic find! I voted "banner."v Congratulations! Good luck with the search.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom