1911-1912 Ford Model T hub cap

bgriffin

Jan 2, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Went to an 1800's plantation this weekend and found this model T hub cap. I guess back the a hub cap was just that, a hub cap, not what we now call a hub cap! When I found it I thought it was a buckle. Then after I got it out, I was not sure what it was. I did some research and found out what it was. I found it it was with some shaped wood pieces, come to find out they were spokes.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 975
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,779
  • IG1057-3.jpg
    IG1057-3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,462
Upvote 0
Thats a cool find.....welcome!

Pretty neat find. Congrats. The Model T Hub actually held Grease in it. As the wheel needed to Greased, the owner would turn it in. Most of the times when the owner put the cap on the shaft, it would be full of Grease and it would fall off, if not turned in far enough.

HH, Ringfinder

ringfinder said:
Pretty neat find. Congrats. The Model T Hub actually held Grease in it. As the wheel needed to Greased, the owner would turn it in. Most of the times when the owner put the cap on the shaft, it would be full of Grease and it would fall off, if not turned in far enough.

HH, Ringfinder
The cap is still black inside from the grease, and I wondered why the threads were so deep. Good info.

bgriffin said:
ringfinder said:

HH, Ringfinder
The cap is still black inside from the grease, and I wondered why the threads were so deep. Good info.

Your welcome, my neighbor rebuilds Model T engines. He sends them all over the world. He even rebuilds Modet T engines for the Greenfield Museum in Dearborn Mich. So he has lots of Model T parts, including Hub caps like the one you found.

I found one of those too! Mine was all bent. Cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back