Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
When it comes to AU gold, you can throw out the "book" value. They will sell based on the spot price of gold with a slight premium. Only when you start to get into ms grades will the premium over spot increase.

OP
OP
outlaws15

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know, thanks
Rick

When it comes to AU gold, you can throw out the "book" value. They will sell based on the spot price of gold with a slight premium. Only when you start to get into ms grades will the premium over spot increase.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not really true with key date coins (which this one is).

If I've done this link properly it will show 1911-D "sold for" values on the bay. Some listed are "weak D" but $1,300 for an AU "details" grade up to $2,400.

Hope this helps.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not really true with key date coins (which this one is).

If I've done this link properly it will show 1911-D "sold for" values on the bay. Some listed are "weak D" but $1,300 for an AU "details" grade up to $2,400.

Hope this helps.

Pete is correct when it comes to key date coins. My general response was made quickly (OP's posting time vs. my response). I didn't bother to look up date/mm. For common issues, my premise stands true. I use a base line of XF for spot. Lower grades might sell for spot, but after deducting fees, it will be less than spot. AU -> Spot + slight premium. MS grades the premium increases as the grade increases.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 1911 D Quarter Eagle is the key date of the series, worth several thousand dollars in any condition.

As far as the melt vs numismatic value goes, it depends on the spot price of gold. With gold being $1900 an ounce at the moment, the gold value has risen quite close to the numismatic value of common date gold coins. But if gold ever drops back to $1300 an ounce, then the numismatic value will in comparison be substantially higher.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions