fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres my 1911 S I found out detecting. Im not much of a grader but I would appreciate it if someone could give me an idea what it might be worth. Im interested in selling it for someones collection. I dont want to rip anyone off due to my lack of grading skills and I dont want to get ripped off!! Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 1911 s penny 003.JPG
    1911 s penny 003.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 1911 s penny 004.JPG
    1911 s penny 004.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 379
very tuff call

it was Probably AU (almost uncirculated) When lost

by details it could grade
VF to EF which would put it in the
$60.00 to $75.00 range.

But being it was in the ground,
would most likely be considered
Enviromentally Damaged.

And brought down to Good Condition
which the 2010 Red book lists at $45.00

No idea what Gray sheet (Average Buying Price)
is on it but probably around 40 - 45

I would grade it as 'good' being that the wheat shaft ends are worn...and again, being a dug coin, it will drop a a level...

Check ebay and see what the market is for your coin...

I'd suggest this might be a higher grade coin, mostly because of the soil-type still on it. But until the coin has actually be cleaned using acetone, it's a pretty tough call. Jeff's suggestion of AU originally seems spot-on, and the clay still on the coin may have protected it from the worst of environmental damage: corrosion and scratches.

I'd suggest cleaning it using acetone and Q-tips, and posting new photos. I bet it's going to be closer to Very Fine than Good, since I can clearly see all wheat lines reverse, and much of Lincoln's hair obverse.

SWEET FIND!

Nice find, did you find it in SLC. Most of the coins I find down south come our of the ground looking very good. If U clean it be very careful even a cotton swab will scratch it. Looks vf to au.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back