🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2045940
Would love any information on the badge, haven’t been out in months
From what I gathered on the net, Your Hackney Driver tag is a tag that a car for hire would have upon being registered.
There are also taxi cab tags that are similar, but not that early. Cool Find!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the badge it's a real nice keeper.
The coppers and buckle are also very nice recoveries.
Your pictures 1&2 shows the two different coppers, but the 3rd pic. of the finds has a taco'd copper, and not the 1st photo copper?

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From what I gathered on the net, Your Hackney Driver tag is a tag that a car for hire would have upon being registered.
wondering if in 1929 during the great depression if rich folk had to hire private muscle to drive them around and protect them from looters and highwaymen

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wondering if in 1929 during the great depression if rich folk had to hire private muscle to drive them around and protect them from looters and highwaymen

It's a cool badge but, as Digger RJ says, its a license to operate a general hire vehicle registered with the city.

Doctor Edward Miles has a great website for identification of US chauffeur badges etc, listed by state, but unfortunately doesn’t provide any history. At the link below, he illustrates the Worcester Hackney Driver badges in use between 1918-1942:

http://www.chauffeurbadges.com/85.html
Hackney.jpg

The term “Hackney” in modern times probably originates from the London Borough of Hackney and a “Hackney Carriage” was originally a small two-horse enclosed carriage available for hire and capable of carrying four passengers. London was the first to introduce legislation to regulate their operation, with the first licences issued in 1662.

London’s iconic “Black Cabs” (now also operating in other liveries) are regulated as “Hackney Carriages” and, until the 1960s, despite the absence of any horses the regulations still required them to carry a bale of hay in the boot (trunk).

I don’t know if the same distinction applies (or applied) in the US but, over here in modern times, a Hackney license differs from other types of taxi licensing in that it permits a limited number of approved taxis to operate from the on-street ranks provided by a city or borough (and at airports etc) and allows them to be hailed in the street, as well as on demand or by pre-booking. Other taxi types (in unlimited numbers) are referred to as “private hire” (minicabs, Uber etc) and are only permitted to operate from their own premises or by request to pick up from a given location (whether on demand or by pre-booking).

OP
OP
Hvactech19

Hvactech19

Oct 28, 2019
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Predator 3, AT MAX, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted the Worcester mass museum and I asked for more information on the badge if possible, like when it was issued, who was 108, was it for carriage or car. Etc. they told me 2-4 weeks for information relating to my request because they’re a department of one at the museum.

Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
Hvactech19

Hvactech19

Oct 28, 2019
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Predator 3, AT MAX, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liking the badge it's a real nice keeper.
The coppers and buckle are also very nice recoveries.
Your pictures 1&2 shows the two different coppers, but the 3rd pic. of the finds has a taco'd copper, and not the 1st photo copper?
The taco’d picture is of a flat button, not a coin. I should have been more descriptive.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a cool badge but, as Digger RJ says, its a license to operate a general hire vehicle registered with the city.

Doctor Edward Miles has a great website for identification of US chauffeur badges etc, listed by state, but unfortunately doesn’t provide any history. At the link below, he illustrates the Worcester Hackney Driver badges in use between 1918-1942:

http://www.chauffeurbadges.com/85.html
View attachment 2046234

The term “Hackney” in modern times probably originates from the London Borough of Hackney and a “Hackney Carriage” was originally a small two-horse enclosed carriage available for hire and capable of carrying four passengers. London was the first to introduce legislation to regulate their operation, with the first licences issued in 1662.

London’s iconic “Black Cabs” (now also operating in other liveries) are regulated as “Hackney Carriages” and, until the 1960s, despite the absence of any horses the regulations still required them to carry a bale of hay in the boot (trunk).

I don’t know if the same distinction applies (or applied) in the US but, over here in modern times, a Hackney license differs from other types of taxi licensing in that it permits a limited number of approved taxis to operate from the on-street ranks provided by a city or borough (and at airports etc) and allows them to be hailed in the street, as well as on demand or by pre-booking. Other taxi types (in unlimited numbers) are referred to as “private hire” (minicabs, Uber etc) and are only permitted to operate from their own premises or by request to pick up from a given location (whether on demand or by pre-booking).
very interesting thank you!

Mar 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of some of the items my Aunt left me before she passed away. She was 76 years old and collected metal plates, buckles, badges, ID's and old brass types of things like door numbers, etc. She even had a few leather license plates from the late 1890s. She also had several tin tags called slave badges in her collect. Maybe 60 or 70+ id plates. I also got all her photo albums and collection of salt and pepper shakers, he knitting supplies, and random stuff. The slave ids are very sad and I honestly don't like reading them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread