What's new

Military belt buckle/ hat badge. Draped bust large cent.

Joined
May 8, 2023
Messages
222
Reaction score
1,116
Golden Thread
0
1802 draped bust large cent, belt buckle with a design on the front haven’t been able to make that out yet. A couple of buttons and a D buckle.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2165.webp
    IMG_2165.webp
    592.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2160.webp
    IMG_2160.webp
    315.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2161.webp
    IMG_2161.webp
    670.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2167.webp
    IMG_2167.webp
    472.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2168.webp
    IMG_2168.webp
    541.5 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 29
I don't know what it's meant to be, but I enhanced your picture to show it better:

IMG_2167.webp


Rotate it 90 degrees and it does have the appearance of an eagle with a shield on the chest:

IMG_2167a.webp
 
Due to the orientation I wonder if it could have been a hat badge. maybe handmade. Great piece.
I think it could still be a belt buckle. There are scratch marks on the back side of it running across it. Makes me think those were caused by wear. I also think you may be correct too it’s hard to say I can’t find any exact examples of it online at all.
 
Neither of the spots that appear to be like attachment points on the back look wide enough for a belt. Although it might be a different type of buckle than I am picturing. Good luck on a definite ID.
Thank you for your insight. And thanks. Not sure who would be able to ID this.
 
I can't say, if you can date it by what else is in the area would be good.

Very possible or just a patriotic person who made it.
Good point. It’s not going to be easy to find another example of it. I found the 1802 large cent near by and my buddy found a handful of old buttons too.
 
Incredible find with the Rev War Shoulder belt plate !! It could be a one off, but it does display the early eagle of the great seal of 1782 found on 1790's plates, Lucky you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom