What's new

1930s classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

scaupus

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
900
Reaction score
540
Golden Thread
0
Location
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1930's classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

I checked my old summer camp that I went to briefly in 1958 when I was 5. I used to give the concessionaire a quarter for a coke. A 6oz. coke cost a nickel. I should have had enough left over to get another coke and a sandwich later for lunch. But the guy gave me back just a nickel, pocketing my .10. I didn't know what to do. The next day it happened again. I complained to my mom who told me to confront the man and get my change, all of it including what he owed me. I did, and the guy told me to beat it. Get lost, kid, scram. I quit going to the place because of that, and because the older kids wouldn't play with me, and i seemed to be the only 5 year old there. So, I go there now and see there's been lot's of changes, new buildings, basketball courts, amphitheatre, new ball diamonds, almost all the old space was covered with new stuff. And just about where I seemed to remember the stand having been, was a concrete pad for a player's bench. But there was still a little bit of bare space that hadn't been altered, so I swept it, and found a Buffalo nickel, my first. Very well worn when it was dropped, and now pitted from 50-70 years in the dirt, I could just make out the date with a loupe, 1937. So, I got a nickel back, but I need to find at least .15 more to get square with that place.

Then off to an old site, which shall remain nameless, it too is largely covered with new construction, but there is a lawn area of about a quarter to third acre altogether. The previous week I had found a 1920's Marmon car badge, silver plated. This week I found a Rollfast bicycle badge. Rollfast is a very collectible bicycle brand from the 30's. They sell the badges on ebay. Also found a woman's powder compact, and two wheaties.

Finally, I checked my dad's place yet again. Out pops another mercury dime (my 8th silver dime from his yard), 2 more wheaties, a complete Peter's .22 cartridge, a .925 clasp from a Mexican Taxco bracelet, and some lead slag.

rollfast.jpg

BUFFALO-NICKEL-DATE.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1930's classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

That is a great story, you need to print it out and put it with the Buff. Lot's of great finds.
 
Re: 1930's classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

I've done a lot of "prospecting" on my old stomping grounds and it is also changed quite a bit. But it is fun to enjoy the peace and quiet inside my headphones and to relive my old childhood memories. Once in a while I find something that I think either I or one of my childhood friends might have lost. Thanks for sharing. Monty
 
Re: 1930's classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

Monty said:
I've done a lot of "prospecting" on my old stomping grounds and it is also changed quite a bit. But it is fun to enjoy the peace and quiet inside my headphones and to relive my old childhood memories. Once in a while I find something that I think either I or one of my childhood friends might have lost. Thanks for sharing. Monty

i found a 1963 dime at the bus stop in the swale right beside our old house, so that could have been my own dime. Not only did we run and play around there, but no later than 1964 I was taking that bus to see movies downtown - I remember seeing The World of Henry Orient by myself in '64, I was 11. Parents didn't worry much about their kids back then...
 
Re: 1930's classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

Interesting story...thanks for sharing!
 
Re: 1930's classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

Cool Story and Nice Finds Congrats !! :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1930's classic bike badge, silver and my childhood lost nickel

Mom use to get rid of me and my sister on Saturday afternoons at the local movie theater in the small town where I grew up and still live. We'd take 50 cents and get in for a dime, get popcorn, a coke and a big candy bar and still have a dime to call home when the double feature was over. I was about your age at that time, 10 or 11. We'd see a double feature, two cartoons and two serials all for a dime until you were 12 and then it cost 25 cents. I was kinda' short so I got in for a dime until my voice changed! I discovered girls at about that same time and then the rest was history. Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom