1933 double eagle trial: At long last, a conclusion

Why in the world would you take coins to the Treasury Dept for authentication? They learned an important lesson -- never tell the government that you own gold or silver. If you do, be prepared to lose it.

RP4L:

I agree with you. However, the Treasury Dept. was going to go after these coins if word ever got out they were being offered for sale.

It makes sense to me that the Treasury has a very long memory regarding theft - although story about the silver missing from the San Francisco Mint didn't get much public play.

The 1933 Gold Act recalled all US gold coins. The 1933 $20 gold pieces were never released to the general public. I really don't see how the folks who had these coins really had a position.

Now, perhaps they should have tested the waters with just one coin. And kept the rest back as leverage for negotiation, as in the past the Treasure paid a reward or finders' fee or whatever they called it when another coin had been put up for sale.

However, once the Treasury had them all in hand - the leverage was gone.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo said:
RP4L:

I agree with you. However, the Treasury Dept. was going to go after these coins if word ever got out they were being offered for sale.

Easy solution: melt them. I'd rather have $10k in gold than $0 and maybe legal costs.

RP4L said:
Old Bookaroo said:
RP4L:

Easy solution: melt them. I'd rather have $10k in gold than $0 and maybe legal costs.

Believe me, they don't need the money. The family is already loaded.

Neil in West Jersey said:
RP4L said:
Old Bookaroo said:
RP4L:

Believe me, they don't need the money. The family is already loaded

and that is an excuse to let the government seal from them how?

Sheldon J said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
RP4L said:
Old Bookaroo said:
RP4L:

Believe me, they don't need the money. The family is already loaded

and that is an excuse to let the government seal from them how?

No, the point is that it is not a reason to melt down the coins for their gold content.

SWR said:
This is interesting.

It appears some folks are condoning thievery :icon_scratch:

The government has not proven theft, it's all guess work, innuendos, and accusations, read the whole case.....

It's called "Reasonable Doubt" and from what I see there is a heap of it.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back