1940s propane grill......any value?

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
1940's propane grill......any value?

Hello all.......I was metal detecting at an old house that was close to being torn down as well as the garage and the owner asked me if I wanted an old grill in the garage.........took a look at it and said "sure, I'll take it".......not even knowing if it worked.

He said his brother had owned a diner which closed in the late 40's so I am just guessing it is from the 40's.

Got it home and cleaned it up and it is in great shape and works BEAUTIFULLY!......I really like it.

But, my wife thinks it's an eyesore on our deck and since I just got a new grill for Father's Day I told her I would see if anyone knew what it was worth and maybe I'll take out a classified ad or Craigslist.

Soooo........does anyone have a clue as to what I should ask for a grill like this?? I found new ones online and they literally go for thousands brand new but I have no idea what this would be worth.

I'll tell you one thing, they sure don't make things like they used to.......that top plate is HEAVY!!

Thanks for any input anyone may have!!

HH all!

Greg

Attachments

• DSCF0336.JPG
    DSCF0336.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCF0337.JPG
    DSCF0337.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCF0338.JPG
    DSCF0338.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCF0339.JPG
    DSCF0339.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 453
K

Kentucky Kache

Re: 1940's propane grill......any value?

It don't look that old to me. Old, but not 40's. But, what do I know. ;D

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd go with Craig's list and list it as "make offer". I would think that you could get at LEAST $100. Since it works on LP gas, it would be desireable to anyone who camps/travels in an RV as an alternate source of cooking. It would have to be protected from the elements and some type of cover would be necessary if used outdoors and left on a patio or campsite.
Scott

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is no manufacturer's label or mark of any kind on the bottom of that grill?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old or not, you'll never find anything that will grill a burger with onions as good as a real grill. I'd build a nice cabinet out of steel for it and hang on to it , but I'm a packrat at heart. Monty

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Thanks for all of your replies, I appreciate it!

I placed a classified ad in our local PennySaver and listed it as "best offer" .......I had 6 phone calls and 4 visits within a week and got 3 offers total with the highest one being $450!!!!!

So, I took it!

It was an older guy who wanted to bring it to his hunting/fishing camp in Maine.

I'm really glad it's going to be taken care of and enjoyed.

HH all!

Greg

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee

the older guy must recognize quality. what was the next highest offer?

funny and curious that i've never seen many old grills around ever. but i've never seen the tip of my elbow either :dontknow:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was writing my answer about keeping it, I thought of how great it would be in a deer hunting camp. Dang! Wish I had it. Monty

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You both got a good deal. That guy saved you a mess of trouble with the wife. You got a grill for fathers day? Then you bring home another grill? I can see it now..... Next Fathers day socks & a pack of boxers with smiley faces on em :D :D Yup, saved you! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions