Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched to see if there is such a thing as a "2" mint mark and came up with nothing. I also looked at it every which way thinking it could be a "S" or maybe a "micro s" that's been distorted by damage, but I can only see it as a "2". I have no other mercs with an S mm to compare it to.

Let me know...

merc-43-2mm.JPG merc-43-2mm-close.JPG

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that looks like a 2! It may be an overstrike coin, so do some research for a "D over S" or "S over D" coin.

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're called 'repunched' and come with various numbers shown. (1,2 or 8, for example). I wish I could tell you more.
Don.......

Good info, but haven't found any info on a repunch using a number. Some info I found talked about punching the mint mark slightly off, smoothing it, and repunching it. Or an S over D or vice versa. But nothing on the use of numbers.

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
Looks like the bottom right of the "D" took a hit pushing the metal over to give the illusion of a 2 IMHO

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. I borrowed a microscope from a friend and I am going to say it is a damaged "S". It looked so much like a "2" to the naked eye all the way up to a 10x loupe! But looking at it under the microscope I believe the top arc is the top of the S and there is damage that runs along the bottom at an angle.

Here is what I think:

Merc Close Up.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread