1943 steel wheatie

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Not a great hunt tonight but I did have a first for me, a 1943 wheatie that's steel! Lots of wheaties to date but never even seen one of these before. Other than that I found LOTS of caps, pulls, and tabs, a little clad and a mood ring.

1943_wheat.jpg

Grip

Upvote 0
Nice find
I'm surprised it's survived and didn't just disappear from rust. are you sure it's not copper ;D

Good job
3S

3searchin said:
Nice find
I'm surprised it's survived and didn't just disappear from rust. are you sure it's not copper ;D

Good job
3S

If it is copper he has just found a dandy!!!...

DANGLANGLEY

Lots of funny looking gunk and a little rust on it. When I found it I tossed it in with the rest of the coins I had gathered figuring it was just another clad. When I got home and dropped all of the finds into my washing strainer I realized it was a wheat. Once all of the crusty stuff (nothing I usually find on a coin) was gone I saw it wasn't the normal dull look of a penny. I looked it up and after reading that some of them were steel then I grabbed the magnet. I was hoping it wasn't steel, the 1943 copper would be worth something from what I found on the web.

Grip

Good job. :thumbsup:

You're paying your dues if you're digging targets that read where steel cents do!

I am curious if you were digging all the iron tones when you found that. I never ran one under my coil to get a VDI number, but I bet it is pretty close to zero or lower. Now i am curious and will have to check this out.

Congrats on your find!

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Good job. :thumbsup:

You're paying your dues if you're digging targets that read where steel cents do!

I've been ridiculed by folks for being on my knees digging more than I'm swinging! I dig almost everything.

Most days I come home with more tabs and tops than I do even clad, but other times I find items the others have passed up. In the area I live in it's not uncommon for me to hit a park or ball field that show signs of fresh holes and I still find items that were left behind by them.

I learned a long time ago that if I try and get greedy and tune out the "trash" i miss a lot.

Grip

I found a 43 steel this year, but the only reason I found it was because it was in a wheat penny spill with a 1941, and 42 copper wheat, or I would have not found it

Hey dude, I over in Frisco, nice to see that there are actually people MDing in North Texas.

Best Of Luck To You!

John

The only steel wheats I have dug were with silver coins from the same era, otherwise I doubt I would have dug any at all. And those were corroded to the point they were worthless... Cool to find, but worthless. Yours seems to be in pretty good shape.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Luckysometimes said:
Wat's the VDI for those things?

Lucky

I am gonna try one today on my DFX. My guess is it would be very close to, if not IN the negative (ferrous) part of the scale.

OK, so I took my DFX, and put it in my custom program, which will accept any target above a small nail, (-40 VDI on the XLT, Spectra, and DFX). I placed a steel cent on the ground and got nothing. The Signagraph was very close to iron. I had my Display Discrimination ON, so I did not get a VDI reading, but I would estimate that it was close to -80, which is very ferrous. What the heck were you looking for? Iron?? I use very little discrimination and I would never have even considered digging this target!

Neil in West Jersey said:
OK, so I took my DFX, and put it in my custom program, which will accept any target above a small nail, (-40 VDI on the XLT, Spectra, and DFX). I placed a steel cent on the ground and got nothing. The Signagraph was very close to iron. I had my Display Discrimination ON, so I did not get a VDI reading, but I would estimate that it was close to -80, which is very ferrous. What the heck were you looking for? Iron?? I use very little discrimination and I would never have even considered digging this target!

Anything underground. ;D

I don't have a fancy metal detector by any means and the BH Quick draw II has picked up several things in the past that a friends Garrett didn't. My guess is that the MINIMAL discrimination of the BH is the key to that.

As I said, I get way more tabs, and caps than I do anything else, and I get teased about it, but I also find a lot of great things as well. Gold, silver (jewelry and coins), and other assorted items...

I haven't gotten to the point in my tenure as a MD (~10-12 years) that I try to avoid "trash". I'd rather dig and see what I've discovered than swing all day for nada. I've been known to keep pull tabs and such for quite a while before I toss them in the scrap metal barrel. My wife is pretty close to correct when she says I'm OCD about getting things that are buried. :P

Tomorrow I'm hunting an old home place that allegedly has never been hunted before, I'll have sensitivity at around 2:00 and no discrimination; yep I'll dig "junque" but I'll love every minute of it.

HH,
Grip

Luckysometimes said:
Wat's the VDI for those things?

Lucky

I come up with "11" on the 1 to 99 scale of my F75.

I dig about everything that is a repeatable and solid lock when swept in an "X" . . . in the nickle and up ranges (28+). Haven't dug a war cent yet. Hunted for years with a Musketeer Advantage (audio only) and I dug a LOT of trash. As I said: you're paying your dues to dig one of those. :thumbsup:

DrGrip said:
Neil in West Jersey said:

Anything underground. ;D

I don't have a fancy metal detector by any means and the BH Quick draw II has picked up several things in the past that a friends Garrett didn't. My guess is that the MINIMAL discrimination of the BH is the key to that.

As I said, I get way more tabs, and caps than I do anything else, and I get teased about it, but I also find a lot of great things as well. Gold, silver (jewelry and coins), and other assorted items...

I haven't gotten to the point in my tenure as a MD (~10-12 years) that I try to avoid "trash". I'd rather dig and see what I've discovered than swing all day for nada. I've been known to keep pull tabs and such for quite a while before I toss them in the scrap metal barrel. My wife is pretty close to correct when she says I'm OCD about getting things that are buried. :P

Tomorrow I'm hunting an old home place that allegedly has never been hunted before, I'll have sensitivity at around 2:00 and no discrimination; yep I'll dig "junque" but I'll love every minute of it.

HH,
Grip

That is terrific! With scrap metals the way they are, you may want to save those pull tabs in an old trash bucket. It could add up to some extra $$$!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back