What's new

1945 S Jefferson nickel proof?

frankiefry

Jr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV, Ace 250, Tesoro Silver uMax
Hello to all. I'm one of those pesky lurkers who does small time CRHing and I enjoy reading all your posts. I found a 1945 S (mirror shiny) nickel today in a roll and I can't seem to find much info. about it. I would appreciate any of you more knowledgable folks helping me out with any information you may have about this coin. It's well worn, with NO steps and hardly any pillars, but the shine is still mirror-like, not like a regular silver war nickel is. I realize the pictures are blurry, but you can see how shiny this coin is. Thanks for any help you give. : )
 

Attachments

  • 100_0850.webp
    100_0850.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 100_0849.webp
    100_0849.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_0850.webp
    100_0850.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_0849.webp
    100_0849.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0
Circulated and plated.
 
I don' tknow if they used mirrored finishes yet in 1945 (SAomething tells me they didn't "yet"), but if they did, it would only be the background. the face would be frosted. Yours looks bright everywhere.

That woudl say it is plated, not mirrored. Just my opinion, and I haven't seen it well, but that's my first blush on it.
 
"It's well worn, with NO steps and hardly any pillars"

Here is a proof War-Time Jefferson. Notice the detail.
 

Attachments

  • JeffersonNickel1942-PSilverNGCPF-11.webp
    JeffersonNickel1942-PSilverNGCPF-11.webp
    68.1 KB · Views: 438
Even if it's cleaned or plated, it's still a good find and it's 35% silver. Good keeper!
rileyboy
 
ya, i would imagine its plated, but thats just my opinion...and like rileyboy said, its still a gr8 find!
keep it up and hh!
 
The picture is awful, but even with no photo I can tell you that the coin is not a proof - only the Philadelphia mint issued proof coins in the '40s, and this coin is from the San Francisco mint.
 
I have found several plated nickels lately. Not war nickels, but coins from the sixties and such. No steps and little detail. But they sure look pretty.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom