What's new

1971-D DDO

65gt350

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
773
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I just found my first 1971-D DDO. It is listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide as a FS-50-1971D-102.

I can't believe how many I may have missed by only checking the edges.

Anybody else collect varieties?

65GT350
 

Attachments

  • 1971DDO_102001.webp
    1971DDO_102001.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 1971DDO_102002.webp
    1971DDO_102002.webp
    15 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0
Narthoniel said:
Er, whats so special? I know nothing of variants.

If you look at the IN in IN GOD WE TRUST it is doubled. I have found a few of the 1964-D that have the same doubling but the WE TRUST is doubled.

Here is a close up of a 64-D

65GT350
 

Attachments

  • 64D DDO-005.webp
    64D DDO-005.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 64D DDO-005.webp
    64D DDO-005.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 384
You might want to look at that 64 again, it looks more like a triple instead of a double.
 
Wayne,

It is actually listed as a quadrupled die but I can only see three too. I am still trying to work out the naming conventions. Even in the Cherrypickers' guide they list the 71-D as a DDO-102 but in the descriptions they say the IN shows a tripled die. I assume that it should be called a tripled die yet it isn't.

65GT350
 
Yes it would be a quad struck. I count 3 counter strikes and the original making 4.
 
These aren't caused by the coin being struck. The design is that way on the die.

Happy Hunting!
 
enamel7 said:
These aren't caused by the coin being struck. The design is that way on the die.
That is why I did not use the term "struck" or "strike" in my comment. It happened when the die was created. Anybody know if there is much of a premium on these? I have several hundred of this date, and have never checked them for a possible "triple die".
 
Wayne,

I see some 64-D DDO on ebay that appear to be a different version in GEM BU going for between $5 and $21 when you include shipping. There is also one of the DDO-105 that was described in Uncirculated that didn't sell at $24.99.

65GT350
 
These aren't caused by the coin being struck. The design is that way on the die.

So you're saying the die was made that way? As in no one checks the dies? That just sounds messed up.
 
Congratulations on your first '71d ddo. I have been roll hunting for 10 months now and have found 9 '71d ddo, 11 '74d ddo, and 2 of the '73d ddo.

Semper FI
 
zmemarine,

Do you have people that buy your finds or trade you for other coins? Also, are your 71D DDO the 102 version or the 101 version.

Also do you have a microscope that makes it easier or do you use a loupe?

65GT350
 
wayne1956 said:
enamel7 said:
These aren't caused by the coin being struck. The design is that way on the die.
That is why I did not use the term "struck" or "strike" in my comment. It happened when the die was created. Anybody know if there is much of a premium on these? I have several hundred of this date, and have never checked them for a possible "triple die".
No offense, I was referring to Digger's statement, not yours.

Happy Hunting! ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom