legend76 Hero Member Joined May 17, 2010 Messages 880 Reaction score 1 Golden Thread 0 Location Tennessee Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 2, 2010 #1 Are all post 1970 non-proof halves clad? I've got a 71-D that sure looks and sounds like silver. But maybe it's just me..... HH, Legend Upvote 0
Are all post 1970 non-proof halves clad? I've got a 71-D that sure looks and sounds like silver. But maybe it's just me..... HH, Legend
AGCoinHunter Bronze Member Joined Aug 13, 2009 Messages 2,074 Reaction score 25 Golden Thread 0 Detector(s) used ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH) Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 2, 2010 #2 Most likely plated with something.
SFBayArea Bronze Member Joined Aug 28, 2009 Messages 2,260 Reaction score 31 Golden Thread 0 Detector(s) used White's MXT Nov 2, 2010 #3 There is a non-proof 1976-S 40% out there but that's it.
FL Junkman Sr. Member Joined Feb 13, 2008 Messages 279 Reaction score 9 Golden Thread 0 Location Florida Detector(s) used X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max Nov 2, 2010 #4 Have you tried weighing it? FL Junkman
AGCoinHunter Bronze Member Joined Aug 13, 2009 Messages 2,074 Reaction score 25 Golden Thread 0 Detector(s) used ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH) Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 2, 2010 #5 ....or a planchet error. Yes weigh it.
legend76 Hero Member Joined May 17, 2010 Messages 880 Reaction score 1 Golden Thread 0 Location Tennessee Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Nov 2, 2010 Thread Owner #6 11.5g for 40% vs 11.34g for clad??
JD-GA Sr. Member Joined Feb 2, 2010 Messages 467 Reaction score 1 Golden Thread 0 Location Dallas,GA Detector(s) used Garrett Ace 250 Nov 2, 2010 #7 I have had hundreds of 1971s this year that looked so silver it was hard to put it back. Just give it an clink test and you will know its clad. Silver will sing differently when struck with another coin every single time.
I have had hundreds of 1971s this year that looked so silver it was hard to put it back. Just give it an clink test and you will know its clad. Silver will sing differently when struck with another coin every single time.
undergrounddrew Jr. Member Joined Jan 16, 2005 Messages 84 Reaction score 1 Golden Thread 0 Location Ohio Detector(s) used Technetics G2 Fisher F75 Black, Minelab 3030,Minelab X-Terra 705 and more!!! Nov 3, 2010 #8 I had exactly that experience today. I finally did the "bang it against another coin" test. Man, it looked silver!
I had exactly that experience today. I finally did the "bang it against another coin" test. Man, it looked silver!