What's new

1971D Half - silver?

MentalUnrest

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2010
Messages
744
Reaction score
113
Golden Thread
0
Has there ever been any reports of a 1971D being struck on a silver Planchet? I opened a roll tonight and saw the rim and had no doubt it was a 40%, but was very surprised to see the date of 1971 on it. I have a postal scale and guess that would settle it for certain, but I am unsure of what the silvers and clad weigh.
 
Upvote 0
Clad halves will weigh 11.34 grams, 40% silver will weigh 11.50 grams. I think there were some 40% 1971 halves made, but they are extremely rare errors.
 
oh, and post a pic of it among clads, and front+back pics if possible pleeez...thanks :)
 
Page 198 of the 2008 Red book, " A few pieces dated 1971D and 1977D were struck in silver clad by error". I have one of the the 1971D coins that I will send to be slabbed. As stated it is a very rare error.
 
It should be obvious by using the ring test.

Joad
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom