What's new

1973 class ring 10k gold!! ~ UPDATE - owner found!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
2,429
Reaction score
697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hello!

I went out for a few hours today with my wife at a park/lake west of town. I haven't detected this place for years, but I figured I better give it a try and see what I find. Good thing I did ~ because I found a 10k gold class ring from 1973! This is the first gold ring that I've found this year! I've dug 126 silver coins, but only one gold ring now! The other cool thing about this ring is that its from the same high school at I graduated from ~ North Eugene High School. But I graduated in 1991. GO HIGHLANDERS!!! The ring weighs 5.0 grams.

Also, I dug part of an old spoon. It's silver plated copper ~ and in the 'bowl' it reads, COMPLIMENTS OF THE MEIER & FRANK CO.. Anyone know how old this spoon is??

Thanks for looking!
Neil

><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><

Less than 48 hours after finding this ring I have located the owner! Needless to say, she's very excited to get back the ring after all these years! She remembers when & where she lost it ~ 1974 at Fern Ridge Lake. She said he mom was so mad at her for loosing it! Too bad her mom isn't around anymore to see it's return. But her dad is still around! She said she can't wait to tell him that it's been found.

She's agreed to come to our next club meeting so I can show the ring in FOTM (Finds of the month), and then I can present her the ring there in front of all my treasure hunting buddies! TOO COOL!!
 

Attachments

  • Sept26-2010ring1.webp
    Sept26-2010ring1.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Sept26-2010ring2.webp
    Sept26-2010ring2.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,411
  • Sept26-2010ring3.webp
    Sept26-2010ring3.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,423
  • Sept26-2010ring4.webp
    Sept26-2010ring4.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,333
  • Sept26-2010spoon.webp
    Sept26-2010spoon.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,443
Upvote 0
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

See.....gold isn't that hard to find!! :laughing9: :laughing9:
Just dig the lower tones and bingo.
That spoon is a cool find..compliments
for what I wonder. Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

Meier & Frank was a chain of department stores founded in Portland, Oregon, and later bought out by the May Department Stores Company. Meier & Frank operated in the Pacific Northwest from 1857 to 2006.
Source: Wiki
That narrows (?) it to a tight 150 years!
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

nice finds :icon_thumright:
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

Very Nice ring, not your average looking class ring, Congrats !

TommNJ
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

Congrats on your first gold ring of the year :headbang: What signal did it give you with the etrac?
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

TejasDigger said:
Congrats on your first gold ring of the year :headbang: What signal did it give you with the etrac?

I was in a very trashy area ~ I dug 72 pull tabs also! I think it came in like '11 - 30'
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

Mackaydon said:
Looks like one initial of the owner is "M".
Have you tried to ID the owner and return it?
Don........

Hi Don,

Yes, I'm going to try to return this ring to it's owner! I only found it late afternoon yesterday ~ I only live about a half mile from the school ~ I'm going to go look throught the 72-73 year book and match up the initials. Wish me luck!

8^)
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

oddcoins said:
TejasDigger said:
Congrats on your first gold ring of the year :headbang: What signal did it give you with the etrac?

I was in a very trashy area ~ I dug 72 pull tabs also! I think it came in like '11 - 30'

Oh, just curious because I've been digging nothing but trash lately looking for gold, although 2/3 of the time is spent looking for silver coins.
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

Oddcoins,
I wish you luck and look forward to you posting a pic of you reuniting the ring with its owner.
Don.........
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

Great recovery,I only found one gold ring this year too,keep looking, we will find a lot more!
 
Re: 1973 class ring 10k gold!!

Awesome and good luck on the return. :headbang:
 
UPDATE!!!

Less than 48 hours after finding this ring I have located the owner! Needless to say, she's very excited to get back the ring after all these years! She remembers when & where she lost it ~ 1974 at Fern Ridge Lake. She said her mom was so mad at her for loosing it! Too bad her mom isn't around anymore to see it's return. But her dad is still around! She said she can't wait to tell him that it's been found.

She's agreed to come to our next club meeting so I can show the ring in FOTM (Finds of the month), and then I can present her the ring there in front of all my treasure hunting buddies! TOO COOL!!
 
Now that's what I like to see! Sometimes it's not about the gold content but about the meaning behind things we find.
Good for you and make sure you post those pics. I'm certain the owner will be all grins and smiles after you pass it back to her!
Honorable Mention...but that just stands to reason!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom