What's new

1987 half score, 2 weeks in a row!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok last week I found 20 almost uncirculated shape 1987 halves, very unusual, well this week I found
46 more all in one box!!!! How unreal is that to find so many at once?!

Last week I sold the 20 I had all to one person, several people PM'd me inquiring about them, so everyone who might be interested in having some, please let me know. I hate to send these back into the wild, the condition on these are superb.

Also got 4-40% silver and one 1964 Kennedy. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • S6304231.webp
    S6304231.webp
    75 KB · Views: 354
  • S6304233.webp
    S6304233.webp
    78.4 KB · Views: 356
  • S6304232.webp
    S6304232.webp
    73.5 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0
G4, that's impressive, I saved one when I used to look at dates. I believe those 87's (2,890,758 minted), are the lowest mintage in clad. Red book says $5 ea. in MS-63. Red book says the value of an '86 P in MS-63 is $7, I don't get it, (13,107,633 minted). Those '87s should sell at premium, good luck! ffd
 
fistfulladirt said:
G4, that's impressive, I saved one when I used to look at dates. I believe those 87's (2,890,758 minted), are the lowest mintage in clad. Red book says $5 ea. in MS-63. Red book says the value of an '86 P in MS-63 is $7, I don't get it, (13,107,633 minted). Those '87s should sell at premium, good luck! ffd

I think what Red Book is trying to say here is that, according to their sources, there are more MS-63 grade 87's out there than 86's - which is entirely possible - and that there is no real extra demand for the '87 even though it has a much lower mintage. PCGS price guide kinda confirms the same thing. According to it the value of an '87P does not surpass the value of an '86P until it hits MS67. Now with that said, a circulated '87 such as these beauties might bring a little above face value to a collector wanting to complete an album as they will certainly have a hard time finding one in the wild, or to someone speculating that they will command a premium due to their low mintage "down the road."

To me, it just shows that if any non-silver NIFC half is ever going to command a premium, it is well into the future. The 87's have been out there for 23 years now and there still does not seem to be any real demand for them. I am guessing that is why Goes4ever found these. I am guessing that some collector held on to these for several years assuming that due to the low mintage, that they would be worth more someday. Not seeing the jump in value, he dumped them all to use that money to "invest" in something else that might appreciate in value a little faster.
 
ive only found one in circulated condition, which i put in my folder until i find a better one. i hate you people & ur great luck...j/k :laughing9:
 
I agree with the previous response , that the "nifc" halves , that are clad and now circulated ,
will not be worth more than 50 cents - for the next 100 years or so - If you don't believe
this - put them on e-bay and see how heavy the demand is for them , or if you have a coin
shop in your town , walk them in and see how underwhelmed the dealers are with them . The
logic should be simple - If the entirety of the mintage population of a coin is contained in
collector sets , the grade of which is mint state - at some point they are removed from the sets
and tossed into circulation - now they are no longer mint state coins - the original mintage of
almost 3000,000 - is huge ! Please don't argue that -" since most other years have 5 times or
more the mintage numbers , therefore that means these are rare " It doesn't work that way .
Rarity and condition are the standards for coins increasing in value - the clad "nifc" are
not rare, and condition is compromised . Collect them if you want to complete a year set ,
but can we please put to rest the notion of clad "nifc" value or rarity ? Argentium.
 
fistfulladirt said:
G4E, curious, did you sell the 87's at a profit?
not much, just a little to cover shipping, just trying to help anyone who needed to fill sets
 
Goes4ever said:
fistfulladirt said:
G4E, curious, did you sell the 87's at a profit?
not much, just a little to cover shipping, just trying to help anyone who needed to fill sets
Still a cool find in my book! I haven't found one, let alone the amount you have obtained. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom