• 1987 D silver color penny (2).jpg
    1987 D silver color penny (2).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 4,410
  • 1987 D silver color penny.jpg
    1987 D silver color penny.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,433

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Here's the problem, and i have 50 years of experience with coins.
1) since 1982, cents have been zinc planchets, plated with copper.
2) the 1987 D, might be a planchet that missed the plating process. Coincidentally, i have a genuine example also dated 1987 D
3) the 1987 D, could have been tampered with and the plating removed.
4) many dealers and even some major grading companies do not understand errors.
5) many dealers will look at it and tell you it is not an error, when it just might be.

Look carefully on the coins surface for uniform roughness as that is one indication that the plating has been removed
On the other hand, zinc is subject to pitting and corrosion so even a genuine error can exhibit a rough surface.

With a better image, i maybe able to help.
All this also applies to the coin shown that may be a partial plating error.

I am sure that neither coin is replated and the mercury concept is out.
I hope this can help get you on the right track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Slim_Pickins

Feb 26, 2014
Lincoln Park, Mi
Detector(s) used
I have 2 white's coinmasters and 1 Garrett ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this one for some time............

View attachment 1174739 View attachment 1174740

Someone here suggested it was treated with a drop of acid...........my LCS doesn't know for sure, either..............

From the looks of it I tend to lean toward it sitting on top of another object. And the copper in ion form moved from the penny to the object.
At first I thought it may have been subjected to heat. But the bluing effect is not uniform.

Upvote 0

Robert1971

Apr 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I two have a 1987 D that is silver color. I was first told that it was a science project, but after about five years it still hasn't deteriorated it still looks the same. So science project I highly doubt it cuz everyone knows that once the covers off the penny does think the teary rates in a rapid rate

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know your answer.
It is a penny that had a dime, hiding in a load of pennies, gravel and water - in a Rock Tumbler, getting dirty coins, clean!
Altho the dime had enough silver rub off, during this tumbling with all those Zincolns, that created the hue that you see coloring it..! :laughing7:
By the way, that Standing Liberty Quarter, and that old Australian Penny are great tho...! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the years at tnet these guys have come and gone but the downside is they normally have a tendency to run members off first.

Upvote 0

mugsprt

Feb 1, 2024
I two have a 1987 D that is silver color. I was first told that it was a science project, but after about five years it still hasn't deteriorated it still looks the same. So science project I highly doubt it cuz everyone knows that once the covers off the penny does think the teary rates in a rapid rate
I also have one. I have had it for years. It is made out of the same composition as Nickels. I have had mine for over 10 years. It was a misprint when the Treasury's contractors accidently was changing making different coins. A Nickel is made of 25 percent nickel and the rest is copper.
Guess what our pennies are made of?

Upvote 1

mugsprt

Feb 1, 2024
We're still waiting! :laughing7:
I hate to tell you this but in the beginning of last Millennium, I had it tested. Also at the time, a dealer wanted to buy it. So I would not be laughing too much!!! I said I did have for 10 years but I did not say that I had over 10 years and the only person I have found with another one was a bank teller who found it.

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Mugsprt. Are you saying that you have a 1987 US one cent coin made of 25% nickel and 75% copper? We need pics!

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to tell you this but in the beginning of last Millennium, I had it tested. Also at the time, a dealer wanted to buy it. So I would not be laughing too much!!! I said I did have for 10 years but I did not say that I had over 10 years and the only person I have found with another one was a bank teller who found it.
I think you misinterpreted my post.

It wasn't directed at/to you. My post quoted rick67. His (very old) post was in response to a (very old) post by ikanikon, who chewed up and spit out the forum members who had offered opinions up to that point.

I noticed that ikanikon never made another post anywhere in this forum, (he only has a post count of one)thus my comment that, "We're still waiting! :laughing7:"

Good luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have one. I have had it for years. It is made out of the same composition as Nickels. I have had mine for over 10 years. It was a misprint when the Treasury's contractors accidently was changing making different coins. A Nickel is made of 25 percent nickel and the rest is copper.
Guess what our pennies are made of?
Good find!
I was going to suggest that the penny may have gotten mixed up in a load of dimes, in a rock tumbler - its happened to me...!
However, my silver-looking coin isn't way closer to the real thing than your, I'm sure!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions