Shotgun chain shot?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I was hunting the Old Wire Road this week and focusing on an grove of oaks that overlooked a civil war encampment.....I found a strange item that I cannot identify .....I am so sorry I have no picture as my camera is on the blink....but its two tiny iron balls connected together by two links of chain.....actually looks like a miniature chain shot from a cannon...the entire relic is about 1 inch long and each iron ball is about a little smaller than a marble....I will try to get a pic up as soon as possible ,but in the meantime...any ideas? :icon_scratch:
This property I am hunting is private and very remote and I know for a fact that it was heavily traveled by the soldiers and bushwackers ...there has been no one on this particle spot for years.......I found the item about fifty feet off the wire road.....

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Gypsy Heart said:
I was hunting the Old Wire Road this week and focusing on an grove of oaks that overlooked a civil war ecampment.....I found a strange item that I cannot identify .....I am so sorry I have no picture as my camera is on the blink....but its two tiny iron balls connected together by two links of chain.....actually looks like a miniature chain shot from a cannon...the entire relic is about 1 inch long and each iron ball is about a little smaller than a marble....I will try to get a pic up as soon as possible ,but in the meantime...any ideas? :icon_scratch:
This property I am hunting is private and very remote and I know for a fact that it was heavily traveled by the soldiers and bushwackers ...there has been no one on this particle spot for years.......I found the item about fifty feet off the wire road.....
Sounds like a experimental ball and chain for a musket. It might be cuff links also. La Beep

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
I'm no expert but I've never heard of small caliber chain shot. I've hunted several spots on and along the Old Wire Road as have several of my friends. I've never seen anything like that found there. Maybe it is an "experimental" load. I can't see cufflinks being made of iron.

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is, it sounds pretty interesting. . . if you're able to get a fairly
accurate measurement of the balls' diameter, it may help if it's ordnance related.

Glad to hear you finally have some free time to hunt :thumbsup:

Take care,
watercolor

Upvote 0

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
The measurements would help.
It sounds interesting and so does your sight!!!
I know you know how lucky you are to hunt places like that.

Upvote 0

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
dkw said:
I'm no expert but I've never heard of small caliber chain shot. I've hunted several spots on and along the Old Wire Road as have several of my friends. I've never seen anything like that found there. Maybe it is an "experimental" load. I can't see cufflinks being made of iron.
Think of the damage it would do to a line of soldiers standing shoulder to shoulder before they took cover.
And they would also make noise in flight that would scare the p*** out of anybody.

Upvote 0

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Hi Gypsy:

You might have a cloak or cape clasp. I have seen some that look like what you described.

Les

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
La Beep said:
Think of the damage it would do to a line of soldiers standing shoulder to shoulder before they took cover.
And they would also make noise in flight that would scare the p*** out of anybody.

I don't think it would do much damage to anyone besides the first in line. A iron ball the size of a marble would have a very poor sectional density for a projectile. Think of all the high dollar tungsten type shotgun shells for waterfowl hunters. Lead is illegal and steel sucks so badly that many hunters are willing to pay big money for each pull of the trigger just to avoid steel shot. A piece of chain between two iron balls that small would hardly seem effective as a projectile. I would guess it to be severely lacking in penetration and any sort of accuracy for aimed fire.

I will agree though, the sound alone might have been a great psychological weapon. ;D

Upvote 0

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
dkw said:
La Beep said:

I don't think it would do much damage to anyone besides the first in line. A iron ball the size of a marble would have a very poor sectional density for a projectile. Think of all the high dollar tungsten type shotgun shells for waterfowl hunters. Lead is illegal and steel sucks so badly that many hunters are willing to pay big money for each pull of the trigger just to avoid steel shot. A piece of chain between two iron balls that small would hardly seem effective as a projectile. I would guess it to be severely lacking in penetration and any sort of accuracy for aimed fire.

I will agree though, the sound alone might have been a great psychological weapon. ;D
If it was a type of experimental ammo I think it would have been more for psychological reasons. One I agree that it would not penetrate very deep as a lead ball would do, but it would wound the soldier with a nasty little wound. Two wounded soldiers make screaming noises. Three as I said it probity would make some type of noise in flight. As far as steel bullets not being very effective I know that soft steel bullets was used by both the Italians and the Japanese during WW2 with great success.

But I still go with my second guess.

Upvote 0

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
When I was in service one of the favorite heavy shotgun loads used was a slug with a hole drilled through it,
Cut in half and a braided wire threaded through the two pieces. tie a knot in both ends of the wire and coil the wire between the two short round (connected now) slugs.
When leaving the barrel it would uncoil and spread, and at short range was a very unfriendly thing to see.
They are only affective at very short range though and loose velocity very quickly.

You may have found something similar.

Thom

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont think this it what you have but I thought it was of interest to this topic. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/glevumdetecting/index.htm look under English Civil War.
dumbell.jpg They call it a dumbell.

Joined pair of lead musket balls (Dumbell) from site of Civil War skirmish 1643.

Taynton.

Upvote 0

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Gypsy Heart said:
....but its two tiny iron balls connected together by two links of chain..... the entire relic is about 1 inch long and each iron ball is about a little smaller than a marble....

In an attempt to maintain the decorum of this board, I will try to dumb-down my response:

I have seen a few of these on "certain" websites catering to those who desire a more "painful" type of jewelry for their wild adventures.

Surely, there was none with those "tastes" living during the Civil War... ;D

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Arizona Bob said:
In an attempt to maintain the decorum of this board, I will try to dumb-down my response:
Now why would you want to do that? ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions