vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
FWIW - I searched the net and found a bunch of references to pennies (i.e., 1995, 1997, etc.) that aren't magnetic, etc...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am confused... No pennies besides the 1943 steel cent were magnet.

A 1995 penny would be zinc with a copper plating. There have been reports of unplated zinc cents making their way into circulation. The copper plating can also be removed through a variety of methods.

It is certainly not silver. It might be worth something but probably not. Good luck.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very interesting Silver Penny that is in extremely good condition. It is a 1995 D. It is not magnetic. Does anyone have any ideas why it is silver unless it is a mis-stamp at the mint? I don't have a picture at the moment but will try to post one. I will be bringing it to a coin dealer soon and let you know what i find out. :)

It sounds like someone had a broken thermometer and played with the penny in the mercury...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
billjustbill hit it head on. It is coated with mercury. I taught science in public schools and was constantly yelling at kids for doing this. Mercury is very dangerous so don't lick it, rub it or heat it. Mercury fumes are even worse...

OP
OP
A
Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is shiny and not from mercury....i used to do that as a kid 40 years ago to all kinds of silver denominations.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
it is shiny and not from mercury....i used to do that as a kid 40 years ago to all kinds of silver denominations.

Well several people have already given you some pretty good info.

Unless you post a pic or give a more detailed description, there is nothing more we can help you with at this time.

OP
OP
A
Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20130202_231552.jpg
This is the picture of the silver penny next to a normal penny

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of ways to remove the copper clad layer on a newer zinc cent. I have one myself. That being said yours does look like it has been silver plated versus having the copper removed. Only because it looks so shiny. Zinc wouldn't be that shiny, I wouldn't think. It would look more like this dull gray one- Zinc penny, modern, a sample of the element Zinc in the Periodic Table

I have a couple gold plated cents. They were plated, set in a bezel and made into earrings. So it wouldn't be unheard of if yours is silver plated.

Here's my penny with the copper clad removed-

zincoln.jpg

Rdunzl

Apr 15, 2013
Portland, Ore
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was in high school, I worked in a gas station. One day a gentleman came in to fill up and we struck up
a conversation. He was in the chrome plating business. He handed me a chrome plated penny. It was basically
his calling card. He handed them out wherever he went. It took me a few days, but I managed to find it. Don't ask
me why I've held onto this for 35 years. Maybe you crossed paths with him. image.jpg

OP
OP
A
Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank all of you for your information. It is nice to see so many of you with knowledgeable responses. Thank you tons. I will take it in still to see what the pros think. I also have a few more things i will be posting that are worth a look.
1 being a Medallion (non magnetic) that says Good luck with a horse shoe on one side and on the other it says Maceys Lucky Sales Week St.Paul Minn on it. This i did find with a metal detector about 20 years ago. It is 1 3/8" diam.
2nd a 1893 Gold Britt coin ONLY 773 minted (i have a picture of that coin a my profile picture)
I am new to this so please bear with me (i cant remember how to post a new thread lol)
I will get pictures posted with my new threads - again thanks everyone !!

aireola

Jun 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also have just got my hands on a 1995 D silver penny. Does anyone have any idea what there worth and it is also non magnetic

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
School chemistry project. Chemical plating. Typically done with zinc on copper, but the copper plated cent does just fine. Plating with no heat results in a silver colored coin. Add sufficient heat, and the result is a gold toned coin. I learned that over 45 years ago in school.

This is not a silver penny. It has been altered. Please do an internet search on making silver pennies. You will have to sift through the fluff, but you will find several tutorials on how to do this yourself. Basic chemistry. Middle school or high school.

Time for more coffee.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
There is a process of using heat to turn pennies silver and gold its on yout*be

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread