Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, after reading some of the posts on here about Coinstar finds and 2 Sundays ago I missed finding a 1942 Merc a guy found in the local Supermarket Coinstar while I was standing just feet away talking to a friend (I never knew the machine was there, lol; but I do now), I finally put 2 and 2 together and decided to start checking them for coins. Well after checking several over a few days while doing errands I came up empty; BUT today, the first one I checked had a handfull of coins in the reject bin. ;D
I'm not sure of the value of the European coins yet. Maybe some of you can help. I found 1 American quarter and 6 dimes; 1 Canadian dollar, 1 quarter, 2 dimes and 2 nickels; 5 Cheska Republika coins (Czech Republic, I guess) and 2 Euros and a couple of unknowns, 25 pennies too...While I was scooping them out of the reject bin, I was wondering if anyone was watching, lol. Couldn't believe no one else found them first...Kinda funny, I wanted to yell out JACKPOT; but figured I'd better just keep my mouth shut and keep scooping. I'm not tellin' anyone but you guys and girls, lol. No silver; but that's Ok.
I spent the rest of a couple of hours checking all the Coinstars I could find on the way home and came up empty; but I did pretty good on the first one, eh? I certainly spent more in gas than I found; but it was a fun afternoon in the rain. No deer hunting or coinshooting with the detector today; but I went Coinshooting Coinstars, I guess you could say...Here's a few pics...

Attachments

• All 2.JPG
    All 2.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Canadian 2.JPG
    Canadian 2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,522
  • Ceska 2.JPG
    Ceska 2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,536
  • Euro 2.JPG
    Euro 2.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,541
  • Ceska 1.JPG
    Ceska 1.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,530

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_thumleft: Nice grab! I have only recently started checking these machines. The first find included two wheats (including a 1943 steel) and some modern cents, plus one clad dime. Today was a quick stop at the grocery store after work. Made it a point to go check the machine. Found one nickel (1958) and one modern cent. I'll take 'em all! :tongue3:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lookin' good!

All the best,

Lanny

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best Coinstar find was a 1964 Quarter and Dime in the same machine.

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top left one here is some kind of Japanese token. You have it upside down.
It says Central.

index.php

OP
OP
Dug1898

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you deathhare, I had no idea what that was. Maybe a token for mass transit I suppose. I have checked a few other coinstars and haven't found anything interesting. I did find a common memorial penny today at Walmart and had to spend it when I cashed out. It came in handy as it gave me the exact change I needed, lol.

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug1898 said:
Thank you deathhare, I had no idea what that was. Maybe a token for mass transit I suppose. I have checked a few other coinstars and haven't found anything interesting. I did find a common memorial penny today at Walmart and had to spend it when I cashed out. It came in handy as it gave me the exact change I needed, lol.

Actually, Im pretty sure its a pachinko token.

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumright: I always check the machines on my way out of the grocery store. My best score was $12 in clad, but that was right after the machines started popping up. Now there's 10X as many people looking for the same coins.. I guess in that way it is a lot like metal detecting. :icon_biggrin:

Argentum

Dec 11, 2009
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Walking by my local machine I saw 3 pennies in the reject tray,I almost kept walking. After I scooped them out I had two corroded zinc cents and the third was an 1860 fatty indian head! Leave no penny behind!!
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread