1st half bag in a while - 1952 Franklin showing!!!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank called me to let me know that they had a bag of halves off their counter, it had been sent to the courier or to the main branch or something and was returned. I grabbed it today and almost let out whoop - can't wait to start going through it!

IMG_20220916_150029364_HDR.jpg

Upvote 9

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank called me to let me know that they had a bag of halves off their counter, it had been sent to the courier or to the main branch or something and was returned. I grabbed it today and almost let out whoop - can't wait to start going through it!

View attachment 2046765
Post results.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
so went to the ATM this morning and asked at the tellers if they had any halves, they had 5, one was a 1964 D, I need it for my CRH Dansco album.

a good weekend so far!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2046765
So does the bank bag them or do customers bring them in bagged?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
So does the bank bag them or do customers bring them in bagged?

when people talk about Bags they are talking about the bags from the coin counting machines. They each hold $1,000 worth of halves, quarters, dimes. They normally send them to a courier who rolls them and distributes to other banks.
That way you get the coins right from the customers. It would be like getting a bag off a coinstar

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I can go to my local grocery store and ask the manager if I can buy a bag from the coinstar, pick out what I want, then roll the rest and deposit back in my bank account?
when people talk about Bags they are talking about the bags from the coin counting machines. They each hold $1,000 worth of halves, quarters, dimes. They normally send them to a courier who rolls them and distributes to other banks.
That way you get the coins right from the customers. It would be like getting a bag off a coinstar

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
16 silver out a bag is actually very good. when you get boxes of halves ($500 each) you might get 10 or more skunks in a row. I average about 1 40% coin every few boxes.

COINSTAR - it is not the supermarket that controls that, it is the Coinstar company and you can call them but I have never heard of them selling any. Even banks don't want to. Out of 60 banks I have contacted I have 1 that will sell bags and they are on hold for now.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar machines don't have bags. There are 2 large bins and everything goes into them. Once they are full, the machine calls home and someone comes and pulls the full bins out and replaces them with empty ones. Here in western NY, it's Loomis that empties the machines and processes the coins. I'm sure it's different in other areas.

Scott

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
16 silver out a bag is actually very good. when you get boxes of halves ($500 each) you might get 10 or more skunks in a row. I average about 1 40% coin every few boxes.

COINSTAR - it is not the supermarket that controls that, it is the Coinstar company and you can call them but I have never heard of them selling any. Even banks don't want to. Out of 60 banks I have contacted I have 1 that will sell bags and they are on hold for now.
Hey thanks for reply. I felt it was pretty good results and even better now I know it's $500 bags and not 1kđź‘Ť

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I was hoping to ask my bank for a bag of coins, but I guess that’s out. In regards to $500 boxes of halves, I have been skunked for the year until I ordered a box from my new bank. No silver, but the box was full of uncirculated 2022 halves, of which they didn’t mint that many and apparently have stopped minting them. Keeping them all

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I was hoping to ask my bank for a bag of coins, but I guess that’s out. In regards to $500 boxes of halves, I have been skunked for the year until I ordered a box from my new bank. No silver, but the box was full of uncirculated 2022 halves, of which they didn’t mint that many and apparently have stopped minting them. Keeping them all

Nice score! You might try selling on Ebay or American Coins buying and selling on Facebook

I would ask about getting one for my CRH Dansco album BUT I am holding to MY finding it in circulation or a box or bag

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions