jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When out to a street tearout in oldest part of town. I was able to find just a civil war General service . 20180204_080430.jpg20180204_080432.jpg20180204_124604.jpg20180204_180543.jpg

Upvote 31
Good looking button, that town is covered in CW stuff!!

Sweet find! UDAMAN!

Very nice score

31DBF969-BFF3-4A05-A7D2-CD83C606D161.jpeg

Congrats on the CW button and I hope you get a chance to hunt more of the tearout soon.

Nice finds. Way to reach in there and save em.

Nice save, congratulations! :occasion14:

Congrats, at least you saved something!

Street tearout can be a gamble. If the roadway was "professionally engineered" you likely wont find anything because the old surface was dug down so deep to build it back up. But then you hit the roads that were basically just cement poured over the dirt they scraped smooth, then you find goodies everywhere.

Gotta check them all, you never know!

Congrats, at least you saved something!

Street tearout can be a gamble. If the roadway was "professionally engineered" you likely wont find anything because the old surface was dug down so deep to build it back up. But then you hit the roads that were basically just cement poured over the dirt they scraped smooth, then you find goodies everywhere.

Gotta check them all, you never know!

Excellent post Jason. I work in asphalt laying related business (street sweeper business), and Yes: Roads tearouts rarely go down below the DG compaction layer of yesteryear. And to the un-trained eye, what a person sees may *look* like dirt. When it's actually just yesteryear fill-dirt for the compaction/prep. of the AC. And EVEN WHEN THEY to truly dig down to native terra firma, it's still hit & miss. Because in old-town districts of yesteryear, in the era of dirt-streets: They would often fill the ruts with cobble and rock to keep the streets level.

This is why SIDEWALK demolition tearouts are always much better. Because since they are engineered/designed to only carry pedestrian weight, they were often laid right on the virgin dirt or right over the top of yesteryear wooden sidewalks. With little to no prep. In more recent years, that has given way to sand layer and /or rebar /mesh preparation. But some older walks were done with much less prep. And add to all this: Go figure that the sidewalks were where people were entering and exiting stores, saloons, etc....

That's why I always carried my metal detector in my truck with a hard hat and an orange vest. There are some great finds to be had under old sidewalks. Another reason I always told newbies that there is always somewhere to hunt.

Yup , my machine is always in my truck just in case, I saw the street tear out side walks were first to go . I pass by today and saw all the fill dirt is be remove exposing old dirt.

Excellent button

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back