2 1/2 Pennies, & Random Metal

S

SonjaMarie

2 1/2 Pennies, & Random Metal

It was gorgeous out today for Feb in WA State so out I went for a few hours in my yard.

I found 2 1/2 pennies, the 2 full ones was from 1973 (my birth year, how ironic) and 1978, and the 1/2 had the part where the year broken off, hence the 2 1/2.

Then I thought I had a good signal but it kept migrating so I gave up on it. If a signal migrates does that mean something?

Then I got a huge signal by the driveway to our yard from the water facing street and dug up too large flat pieces of metal that looked like they were hinges at one time to something.

I kept getting other signals in this area but it was so rocky and again it would migrate that I gave up on it.

I also found a couple of jagged broken can parts and one nail which shouldn't have come up if I had it on ignore, odd.

Sonja Marie

Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Re: 2 1/2 Pennies, & Random Metal

Hi Sonja Marie! You are finding more coins. You are doing better each time you go out. Just keep it up & you will find something even better soon. Spotz

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

my first few hunts went like this also but in 2 months i was working a sledd hill and cleaned up with $6.50 some keys and some junk jewelry which i gave to the kids(no digging in the ground all from the snowy slush).so just keep an open ear,migrating, sounds like you need to work on your pinpointing.try the X ing method or turn your coil on edge so the smallest part of the signal reaches the target and watch wre the coil is going in both cases and see the target your looking for in your minds eye in the area wre the coil sounds off!large signals like if you move the coill 3 inchs one way or the other and still sound of high pitched(disc.turned all the way up) slightlly jumpy its a quarter the edges give the returning sound of the signal hitting the edges(ridges)give it a try.good luck! ;D

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

I have been using the Xing process and I'd have the signal for a little bit and then it'll end and I can't find it again in the spot or the dirt dug up and then I'll find the signal again a little bit off from it. It was frustrating.

Sonja Marie

C

Carl in CO

Hey Sonja, I think there can be a lot of reasons for migrating targets including the coin on edge. ?It could be something(s) right on the surface or multiple targets. ?I've had spills where coins are stacked on each other migrate. ?You might try listening real close and see if you can sort out the different targets. ? I had a migrator today. ?It turned out to be a sprinkler head about a foot away. ?It was covered with leaves and grass. ?I let out a "dooope" when i figured it out. ?

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

One problem with digging in my yard is that I eventually hit hard clay like dirt and it makes digging harder.

I try to move all metal out of the way of where I'm digging cause sometimes the item is a few inches to the side of where I think it is, very odd.

Sonja Marie

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

sometimes too a coin will be tilted and signal over a little bit of where it's really at and by digging, I think that it can also move as it's disturbed. Have faith and it'll get lots better. By the way, found a wheat penny a year older than me last Sunday-somehow it made me feel old just looking at it. HH

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

I did have another question:

When you find small tree roots that are in the way of where you are digging how do you deal with them?

Sonja Marie

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

First we say words not meant to be read on this forum then we either try to enlarge the hole and work under it or we use our knife to cut through it. Also it depends on diameter of root. On larger ones we keep a small folding saw in the veh. for that purpose-rarely do I carry it w/me. HH

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

OK LOL and here I was feeling bad severing them with my trowel and pulling them out. I've also displaced a lot of worms.

Sonja Marie

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Don/t worry about the roots. If you look at the tree picture that it is just as big underground and displaced worms make great fishing bait or if you're into the show Fear Factor a great wormshake! LOL HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread