2.77 or 2.78

Rabbitshooter

Feb 3, 2022
Update to the update. To be certain you can go backwards from 2.78 to 2.77. I just took the step backwards to 2.77 with no issues at all and.......best of all my new SP-24 arrives in 4 days! Thanks to Richard Guy for the feedback on this coil/software combination. I’ll be ready to revisit some of my former spots to get some time on my “new” Simplex.
More to follow.
I would also like to revert to V2.77 and I already have my SP24. Is it possible to point me in the right direction to get the correct bin file?

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
send me an email to [email protected] and I will attach the 2.77 zip folder
I am sorry to report that I am not able to email the files, ... apparently, email carriers prohibit executable files from being sent due to potential virus and such. I am grateful for all the great ideas that were sent to me such as; change the extension, post on a file holder server, ... etc. I've tried everything without success. I want to help but I can't. Why Nokta Makro removed the 2v77 update is very bothersome. If anyone has an 'in' with the NM folks, please ask them to make it available again, thanks.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any of you still have the 2.77 bin file you used to downgrade? I tried downgrading a brand new Simplex from 2.78 to 2.77 and have had all sorts of issues. Random freeze ups, coil errors, factory reset won't work. After reflashing 2.78 everything works fine. Would like to try and older 2.77 bin file to see if there is a difference from the one from Nokta website or if my detector is just defective.
Hello Grand Touring :)
Where did you find that 2v77? I've been trying to help some folks recover that version. Why NM took it off the 'update' page is bothersome.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Grand Touring :)
Where did you find that 2v77? I've been trying to help some folks recover that version. Why NM took it off the 'update' page is bothersome.
I still have the original from the Nokta website. I can email it if someone wants it. Just PM me your email address. I use Linux and have no virus filters built into my network like Microsoft does.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still have the original from the Nokta website. I can email it if someone wants it. Just PM me your email address. I use Linux and have no virus filters built into my network like Microsoft does.
Wow!!! most excellent! I will PM right away. Thank You

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a word of warning. I highly doubt Nokta will want to warranty your machine if the downgrade process goes wrong. While it is technically possible to downgrade, Nokta only officially supports upgrading. I assume they removed the older versions because of this happening.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a word of warning. I highly doubt Nokta will want to warranty your machine if the downgrade process goes wrong. While it is technically possible to downgrade, Nokta only officially supports upgrading. I assume they removed the older versions because of this happening.
Looks like 2v77 units will command a premium on the aftermarket, ... lol

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard whispering about a black market for original 2.77 and 2.68 Simplex machines. They are definitely hard to find. All new Simplex machines come with 2.78.

Russoca

Jan 31, 2019
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-Tracker, Nokta Macro Simplex+
Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is 2.77 - It's in the 2nd post down. Click link, then upper right click the download arrow. It's a zip file, so unzip (uncompress) to get the bin file.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/...after-downgrade-to-277-fixed/page/4/#comments

For of caution from Nokta site:

IMPORTANT!

SIMPLEX+ CANNOT BE ROLLED BACK TO 2.77 OR ANY PREVIOUS FIRMWARE VERSIONS.

Software Update (2020.06.02) : System Software V2.78

The site also says:

IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH THE INCREASED ID DEPTHS OF VERSION 2.76 OR 2.77, YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL THIS (2.78) UPDATE!

ID stability and depths have been changed back to the same levels of version 2.68. This will NOT affect the overall depth and sensitivity of the device.

Peter B

Nov 7, 2023
I see that this thread is quite old but I thought it best to come in here rather that start a new one.

I've had a v2.78 Simplex for a couple of years and I'm doing OK with it, but I wanted to try v2.77 after so many comments about reverting to that version. I've got the v2.77 bin file and I thought I could use the the v2.78 update file available on the Nokta update website to load it into the Simplex but no, the v2.78 update file won't accept the v2.77 bin file.

I can't find the v2.77 update file anywhere and without it there's no way I know of getting the v2.77 bin file loaded into the Simplex. So if anyone has the v2.77 update file available I'd be most grateful for a copy of it.

Thanks.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread