What's new

2 Axe Heads

detectorFRED

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter 3300, Dousing Rods, Automatic Writing, The Outsiders (UCAs)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Axe heads found in upstate NY.
 

Attachments

  • 0209152321[1].webp
    0209152321[1].webp
    157.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 0209152322[1].webp
    0209152322[1].webp
    212.1 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0
Hmmm?

I'm not seeing it. lets see the bit on those.
 
Hello Fred,
Keep looking they're out there but hard to come by. Here is a couple I have found in my 25 years of hunting fields. As you can see they have man made grooves and bit (sharpened) ends. Your finds have an Axe shape but that is just coincidental., natural as Indian Steve said. I have only found 5 in 25 years and 2 of them were on April 1st 1996. Like I said they are hard to come by!

Keep looking and good luck, Bill
 

Attachments

  • photo (88).webp
    photo (88).webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 138
  • photo (89).webp
    photo (89).webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 103
  • photo (90).webp
    photo (90).webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 116
It's true. Here are a couple more examples to see:

0304141024.webp 0304141023.webp
 
Thanks yakker and Metal illness, but I see grooves on both sides. Maybe this picture helps? IMG_20150210_191025.webp
 
Those are natural "notches" Look again at the ones we posted Grooves are "cut" into the Axe head on the sides, and on the one I posted is a Full Groove, goes all the way around. Plus there is a "Bit" Sharpened end. Axes generally have a Bit end and a Dull "hammering" end.
 
And the 'blade' end-- the 'bit'? Grooves can be made by many things, erosion by sand, other rocks, dirt, water, etc. Rocks move and chip. Unless there's a blade to that puppy... Now, depending on where you are (I don't remember if you said)- if you're near water, it might have been an anchor? or maybe way heavy-duty net weight? I don't know. But I'm not convinced. Now, not all tools are all pretty and refined, but most of them are. If they're ground hard-stone, they're more than likely carefully and beautifully made. Strong, efficient, symmetrical and all that. Generally, you don't really need a half dozen pictures to convince someone that something is a tool. Take a look at the images above. Do you need a different angle to be sure they're really real? It isn't just one feature that tells the tail. It's the bit, the ground hasping area, the (generally) smooth texture, the symmetry, the beauty of the chosen stone (tho not all are pretty- mine are plane- and river-worn).
Someone might come one board and tell me I'm wrong and there's a tool that looks like that- or weapon. Then I'll be the one learning. In the mean time, I stand firm. I'm sorry.
 
Sorry Fred, but both of those are naturally formed rocks and not Axes. An Axe will show obvious pecking and grinding on it for the groove and the blade and your pieces show neither. They have the correct shape so you have an eye for what to see and once you find a true Axe you will see the difference.

Please look at these and the ones posted above and take the time to learn the difference from people trying to help you.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0031.webp
    DSC_0031.webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Axe20.webp
    Axe20.webp
    73.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Axe25.webp
    Axe25.webp
    86.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Pics-386.webp
    Pics-386.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Pics-387.webp
    Pics-387.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Pics-388.webp
    Pics-388.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Pics-393.webp
    Pics-393.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom