2 coins from short Sunday colonial hunt- 1 common, 1 Large DUNNO??????

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the wheat is a sample of what copper & brass are encrusted with------ a bit of tar, mortar, ash, iron & everything else. the large copper was 1/8" thick with crust when dug (hit at 71 due to the reduced conductivity). took nearly an hour of electrolysis to loosen that crud. diameter is 1 1/16" or 27 MM. the reverse is shown 1st in coin orientation then medal orientation. no similar coins found in REDBOOK-------- SO>>>>WTF IS THIS:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:appears to be Britannia George something and weighs 6.8 grams. HELP>>>> I have "no eye deer" IMG_3854.JPGIMG_3855.JPGIMG_3856.JPGIMG_3857.JPG:dontknow::laughing7:

Upvote 5
That big copper is quite interesting. I'm hoping someone can chime in with an ID. Nice finds!

Will III halfpenny 1695-1701 (might narrow that a bit)

Last edited:
That's insane!!! I would love to pull a coin that old out of the ground!

CRUSADER nailed it------GVGLIELMVS TERTIVS BRITTANIA halfpenny 1695-1701. poor William III fared badly in the Colonial NY dirt. my oldest dig ever beating a 1713 Farthing and 1734 halfpenny 3 years back
Will III halfpenny 1695-1701 (might narrow that a bit)

That's an easy one! Great find - you don't see a W3 on our side of the pond everyday.

Wow, what a great find. I'm glad Crusader was able to identify it.

I definitely agree with William III. There was a William and Mary, but she died, on that coin both monarchs are on the coins. Nice. These are very hard to find.

CRUSADER nailed it------GVGLIELMVS TERTIVS BRITTANIA halfpenny 1695-1701. poor William III fared badly in the Colonial NY dirt. my oldest dig ever beating a 1713 Farthing and 1734 halfpenny 3 years back
Ignore my PM from work. I now see its your oldest coin, I did wonder. CONGRATS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back