What's new

2 gold coins, French

aremufc

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I got 2 coins today. The bigger is 3cm, the smaller is 2,3cm. I think they are both French, both have the same writing: fr et nav rex, i think the meaning is
FR = France
ET = AND
NAV = NAVARRE
REX = King
Now the other writings don't match: LVD XIIII D G (on the smaller) and LV**XII D G and the date is 1704 (on the smaller i can't tell).
I think the bigger is this 1:1704a LD'OR FRANCE GOLD LOUIS XIIII NGC AU55 OVERSTRIKE
(link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1704a-LD'OR-FRA...ItemQQimsxZ20091004?IMSfp=TL091004141007r4290)

If someone can help me identify the other, please help.
 

Attachments

  • img007.webp
    img007.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 823
  • img008.webp
    img008.webp
    75.9 KB · Views: 874
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Very beautiful coins. I think these are Banner finds! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
AWESOME :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 

Attachments

  • Congrats5Fmc2DHT5FSmiley5B15D.gif
    Congrats5Fmc2DHT5FSmiley5B15D.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 752
  • Congrats5Fmc2DHT5FSmiley5B15D.gif
    Congrats5Fmc2DHT5FSmiley5B15D.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 759
Upvote 0
"Got" those coins? Tell us more!
 
Upvote 0
What state are you in . A little more info please.
 
Upvote 0
HCW said:
What state are you in . A little more info please.

The state of shock. :D
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to TNet and Congrats on 2 superb coins! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Sure a BANNER find ... after providing a bit more detail, where found, detector used, and all sorts of small details...did you faint...etc.

Regards and Happy Hunting, Joe
 
Upvote 0
Hi everyone, and thank you for the welcome.
Actually, they are not mine, i only got them to scan them and identify them on the internet. They belong to my grandfather. But 1 day i suppose i will inherit them. (if he does not sell them by that time...Hope not ::)) I will ask him where he got them, not sure if he will tell me. I still did not learn their real value. I guess he will have to go to a numismatist.
 
Upvote 0
Any chance of some scans with the coins the right way up, and without parts clipped off?
 
Upvote 0
I've looked at a lot of Louis XIV gold coins and there seems to be something different about these specimens. I am not sure how many die varieties there might have been but the placement of letters and the details in the bust are different. For the smaller coin, it does not have the double L of the Royal coins. I can't find an example of gold coins from Louis XIV with a single L. These coins may be out of my league. I think it is going to take either an expert in French gold coinage of this period or get lucky on the net.

I look forward to seeing what they are.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
For the smaller coin, it does not have the double L of the Royal coins. I can't find an example of gold coins from Louis XIV with a single L.
I can ;D

Demi-louis:http://www.vcoins.com/world/cnpr/store/viewitem.asp?idProduct=13

But yes, there does seem to be a lot of variants of these coins, especially the letter in the centre.. Perhaps each year is slightly different and the letter identifies them?
 
Upvote 0
Good work!!

I have seen lots of die variants on coins but these are REALLY different.

Still some work to do.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I was going to wait and see about better scans before posting..

They are both overstruck, so there will always be some slight differences..
But I'm thinking perhaps each time the year changed, or maybe each time the bust changed as he got older, they remade the whole design, both sides..
 
Upvote 0
Possible but dies were used for a long time in the UK and that is the only comparison I have. There would be different dies from different places but they used the heck out of them before replacing them. Gonna be an interesting story no matter how this turns out.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I will try to make new scans today and i will post them as soon as possible.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, it took me long enough, but here are the new scans. I hope these are better, had to shrink them a bit i hope they fit in the page. :)
 

Attachments

  • img009a.webp
    img009a.webp
    325.5 KB · Views: 538
  • img011b.webp
    img011b.webp
    333 KB · Views: 694
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom