2 hours for a unique little buckle!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys. I detected a home today that was built around 1800. Didn't find much, but the one thing I found was really unique. Signal was a solid repeatable on the Atpro. I dug down around 6 inches or so and this is what I saw.

I am not sure how old the buckle is, but judging from the piece of china that was in the hole I'm guessing it is very early. Lots of mid tones were in the area so I will be able to go back and see what else this site will give up. HH guys...

Upvote 11

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a colonial saddle shield buckle to me... great find!!!

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial finds are always great! I don't believe I have found one like this one before. That was the only good find so I will take it. Glad you all enjoy the pictures. Thanks for the comments.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen quite a few of those buckles posted, from late colonial sites thru to Civil War sites. I believe they are horse tack from the early to mid 19th century. I'm sure someone on here can give you more information.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure would love to see some more pictures of some like this one. If you guys find some let me know. I've seen some similar, but not exactly. I'm on a very early site here so I would like to know. Only thing I have to date it is the early piece of china that was in the hole.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
whenever you see China like that, you're in the right spot. Hit it hard, that's a nice little buckle.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice little buckle. Perhaps an area worth a bit more swinging.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super Find Z!!! Tenn. Digger found one like it in a CSA Cav. camp & another at a 1820s house when he hunted with me & Dman. They are not found that often. WTG, Q.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some good finds over the years in this area. You have to fight through the trash to get to the good stuff in this area. I was just cherry picking when I dug this little buckle. Q that is funny you say that. Soldiers camped around the house. Over the years I have mostly found items you would associate with an old Antebellum type home. Coins, jewelry, thimbles and things like that. I've found old buttons here. Tombac and Dandy buttons. I know that in this particular spot dirt was brought in and dumped on the spot to level it out. All the good finds are 6-8 inches down. I know this because I have dug a couple of nice size holes and pulled out some great items. It is a high traffic area so I have to keep digging to a minimum. I'll get back in there and pull some more goodies out soon. Thanks for the info Q!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen quite a few of those buckles posted, from late colonial sites thru to Civil War sites. I believe they are horse tack from the early to mid 19th century. I'm sure someone on here can give you more information.

I agree, I have seen about 3-4 others posted. I get all kinds of buckle but I've never had this type. By the look of it though I more thinking 1880-1920, but thats just a hunch, no good references.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the pics

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found some good finds over the years in this area. You have to fight through the trash to get to the good stuff in this area. I was just cherry picking when I dug this little buckle. Q that is funny you say that. Soldiers camped around the house. Over the years I have mostly found items you would associate with an old Antebellum type home. Coins, jewelry, thimbles and things like that. I've found old buttons here. Tombac and Dandy buttons. I know that in this particular spot dirt was brought in and dumped on the spot to level it out. All the good finds are 6-8 inches down. I know this because I have dug a couple of nice size holes and pulled out some great items. It is a high traffic area so I have to keep digging to a minimum. I'll get back in there and pull some more goodies out soon. Thanks for the info Q!

Z, Tenn. Digger dug one of the 2 he has found IN a late 1862 Gen. John Hunt Morgan C.S.A. camp. The second saddle ornament he dug came from the old 1830s home. Dman dug an 1830s militia eagle button there. Here's the one from the house. I had never dug one & Donnie knew how much I admired the one he dug in the C.S.A. camp where 2 of my ancestors were camped so he insisted that I keep that one. That's the kind of friend he is. HH, Q.

Attachments

• Donnie's saddle ornament 2-8-12.jpg
    Donnie's saddle ornament 2-8-12.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 82

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet and unusual buckle. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I have seen about 3-4 others posted. I get all kinds of buckle but I've never had this type. By the look of it though I more thinking 1880-1920, but thats just a hunch, no good references.

Thank you for the information Crusader.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread