What's new

2 more counterfeit 1878 Morgan Dollars

mattgaudian

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
577
Golden Thread
0
Location
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I found a counterfeit 1878 morgan dollar in an area lake. Tonight I went back and found 2 more in the same spot. These 2 were bent and black. What was going on in this lake. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468372106.647504.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468372124.329580.webp
 
Upvote 16
Just a curiosity. How do you know they are counterfeit?
 
Nice they look real to me

Just heavy oxidation from the water. Are they cast or lead

HH Jer
 
what makes you think they're fake? Are they made of pewter or something? How'd they ring up?
 
Counterfeit or not congrats on your awesome 1878 Morgan $ finds and thank you for posting your pictures & story for us - wish you many more greats finds while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED
 
I know all my silver from the ground came out like it was just dropped but I learned from some of these water hunters how silver in water will be black a lot of times I think these knowledgeable water hunters can help you.. It doesn't make sense you would find all those and that they would be fake.
 
Let us know if they turn out real... great finds!
 
I haven't weighed the last 2 but the first ones weight was way too low.
 
I haven't weighed the last 2 but the first ones weight was way too low.

Well they are worn down BUT look silver. I would have them checked for silver content. The one I found in the water was almost worn flat but you could still read the date. It was also black.
 
They all weigh in at 18 grams
 
The last 3 counterfeit Morgan Dollars I got were given to me by my Dentist. They have an iron base.
Hit those bad boys with magnet.
 
They don't stick to a magnet
 
Yeah 18 grams is way too light, but I'd investigate further anyway. Pretty cool find even if they are counterfeits!
 
I had a salt water merc come in at something like 0.7 grams.
 
Interesting finds. They'll look cool displayed together. Very nice finds
 
dates ?
if they are all the same date. there is a better chance of them being counterfeit.
not definite, but a counterfeiter most likly wouldn't have several dies with different dates.

silver does turn that color in lake mud
 
Last edited:
Someone "ditched" em in the lake due to them being fakes.

Perhaps... the person who made em.
Or the person who was paid in them... As to prevent them from being in circulation.

In those days...
People threw things in bodies of water to permanently dispose of items.

Little did they know that one day the invention of a metal detector would change all that. heh
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom