What's new

2 more counterfeit 1878 Morgan Dollars

mattgaudian

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
577
Golden Thread
0
Location
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I found a counterfeit 1878 morgan dollar in an area lake. Tonight I went back and found 2 more in the same spot. These 2 were bent and black. What was going on in this lake. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468372106.647504.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468372124.329580.webp
 
Upvote 16
They all ring in as a solid 81 on the AT Pro
 
Cool finds..... Can have them tested? 81 on AT-Pro seems like a aluminum reading? Congrats HH
 
I remember the one last year... and two more... very nice.

If other people believe they are real, go with it...

"...I found a couple of Morgans in the lake today..." Try that on for size.

Congrats on the sweet finds!
 
Yes, Check them really good!
 
They don't stick to a magnet

Hit the edge of one of them with a file,, they may be aluminum.
If you have a silver tester, you can put the filings in the silver acid.
Another way is to take it to a jeweler and have him/her test it.
Good luck and HH
 
My first impressions are that they are real.
 
Found one 25 yrs ago in Bay Minette Al. In the front yard of an old house. Can't remember what I did with it.
 
Congratz on them either way! I would have a heart attack if I found a Morgan. The idea that it was fake would be devastating for me. Hopefully, your constitution is greater than mine! :icon_thumright:
 
your detector will give you an idea of what it is based on its size more then what alloys are in it.

On the AT PRO,, 86-87 is a quarter reading.
A Silver Dollar, based on size alone, should read 89-90.
 
If they are fake, the lake may be a dumping site for them, mattguadian. Would be interesting to find a few hundred more ...
 
I believe that they are very old counterfeits and were dumped in the lake for some reason. Even though I don't think they are real I like the history associated with them. I just wish I knew where they came from.
 
It's surprising some still say have tested even after the OP stated in the title they are counterfeits, and at 30% underweight not very good ones at that.
There are literally tons of these things floating around. I imagine most coins shops would have a basket full I know my local coin shop does, Ebay is full of them.
Some are a lot closer to actual weight too, here is just one example @ 26 grams. There are MANY sellers of these.

1888-Year-United-States-Eagle-Shape-Silver-Coins-Ancient-Antique-One-Dollar-Replica-Coin-Feng...webp
These can be bought for 2 bucks apiece. here
1888 Year United States Eagle Shape Silver Coins Ancient Antique One Dollar Replica Coin Feng shui on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

If you check that link you'll see that a few "lots" were sold in the US, so buying from a US ebay seller is no guarantee of not getting one of these.
These guys also make them with real 90% silver too for a bit more money, and some will even put them in PCGS holders for you. Which BTW is why I'd never buy a coin in a coffin, that no guarantee. Just think if those guys can make a decent counterfeit coin, how hard is it to make a plastic box ? Being able to grade, and recognize this stuff is the best security.

Cool find, and honestly I wouldn't mind finding one, it would be a rush for a couple of seconds, which is about the same as any find anyway, because as soon as it goes in the pouch were off swinging for the next target.
 
Last edited:
there are hundreds of reports on counterfeit dollars in the Minnesota papers alone.
Very Few list dates. I only found these two Listing dates in the general area

1878 counterfeits

St. Paul daily globe. (Saint Paul, Minn.), 29 Feb. 1884.

Excerpt:
1.webp

Whole Story.


St. Paul daily globe. (Saint Paul, Minn.) 1884-1896, February 29, 1884, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress


How Confident are you on the " 8 " ? I can't tell on my Computer.







  • The Virginia enterprise. (Virginia, St. Louis County, Minn.), 19 Feb. 1904.
Untitled.webp

The Virginia enterprise. (Virginia, St. Louis County, Minn.) 1893-19??, February 19, 1904, Image 4 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress
 
When I was a coin dealer I seen tons of the counterfeit dollars. Seated and Morgan $$. The ones I saw were all from Afghanistan. Soldiers were bringing them home after deployed to area finding them in caves by the bushel. Liter and wrong composite. a silver acid test kit will show it. That sucks because that would be a great bunch to find.
 
I originally said 1878 but it was hard to read the dates I now know they are all from 1879
 
I originally said 1878 but it was hard to read the dates I now know they are all from 1879

how close to Evelith did you find them ? If you don't mind saying.

Not that they couldn't have traveled.
Just curious.
 
Very interesting finds!
 
how close to Evelith did you find them ? If you don't mind saying.

Not that they couldn't have traveled.
Just curious.

We are about 6 hours from evelith but who knows
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom