2- Old Cellar Holes and More finds today!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2- Old Cellar Holes and More finds today!

It was a last second decision, and I decided to go to the two Old Cellar holes that I have detected in the past and have had great success at! It was 1:00 this afternoon and I decided to make my way out there and the plan was to dig where I left off a month ago, when I happen to find a bunch of potter shards and old clay pipe stems and some buttons....
When I arrived I went right to it and started digging down to the clay area and that seemed to be where most of the good stuff is....finding first some pottery and some pipe stems , got a signal with the minelab and out came 1 button , early 1800's flat button with no marking on the face. What is very interesting about this site is all the items date 1842 and older...That is the newest coin that was found at this old site....So as we continued i found more buttons and more pottery....then a nice piece of an old pipe with some markings on it came out and then the stem that went with the bowl...those are nice to find with the markings on them that may help identify how old it is...
Still digging in the same area out came what I think is a candle snuffer , but part is broke off. That is a nice find , then came a thimble that looked like it may have been stepped on ...Well after about 4 hours of digging that was plenty of items to take home and clean up and see what we have.!!!! it was time to head back and that was plenty of bending for one day!!!!! Hope you enjoy and keep on Digging!!!! ;)

Attachments

• 2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 014 Medium Web view.jpg
    2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 014 Medium Web view.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 017 Medium Web view.jpg
    2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 017 Medium Web view.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 019 Medium Web view.jpg
    2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 019 Medium Web view.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 374
  • 2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 021 Medium Web view.jpg
    2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 021 Medium Web view.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 004 Medium Web view.jpg
    2 old cellar holes 3-25-06 004 Medium Web view.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
Re: 2- Old Cellar Holes and More finds today!

I love it !!!! I enjoy finding stuff like that. I have a box I save all my old pottery shards in. I store them in ziplocks with the date and location written on them. and when I find more I try and piece them back together. I found an old broken bottle once and pieced it back together...... it dated from the 1890's. It helped me figure out the date of my site. I also like those old buttons....... great finds.....happy digging and keep those pics coming.

Psgen

Great stuff I bet you find lots more at the cellar holes. HH Burdie

Great find's Seeker....I need a few cellar's like that,just found an old mill foundation but have yet to dig it up.Nice job and keep us posted on the hunted out site :D

Nice Seeker. I love to hunt old cellar holes. That one you hunted was a great site. You never know what your gonna turn up at them either.

HH Jeremy

I have a question.....Do you research the area to find these cellar holes or just ask the locals? I would love to find something like that around here. Also, I'd get real crafty and make a table top with old those pieces of pottery! ;D

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Lots of good finds today for you...I love the pottery pieces....Now if you had only looked up and smiled in that 5th pic.....LOL....Nice shot!

Good Luck tomorrow ...I hope I get as lucky with the cellar holes I am digging as you have been with yours!!! ;)

Neat finds today Seeker! Glad you got to go!

Nan ;)

Don't forget to carefully check the corners of the foundation itself, in PA in olden times it was considered good luck to put a penny with the year the structure was built in a corner of the foundation.

The best condition large cent I ever found was from a foundation, 1831 in nearly perfect condition. I heard the beep from the detector, looked down and saw it sitting there loose between the stones where it had sat since the house was torn down in the 1950's.

Hey, Seek, you're a hard core hunter out there in the snow like that. Those shards are great...you could make yourself some mosiac artwork from them....maybe mosiac your bowling ball or something. :D :D

hclvr111_3d_e.jpg

Vinylrecords4ever said:
Don't forget to carefully check the corners of the foundation itself, in PA in olden times it was considered good luck to put a penny with the year the structure was built in a corner of the foundation.

The best condition large cent I ever found was from a foundation, 1831 in nearly perfect condition. I heard the beep from the detector, looked down and saw it sitting there loose between the stones where it had sat since the house was torn down in the 1950's.

Thanks for the info...Vinyl. I didn't know that. I'm going to have to check the foundation walls more carefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back