2 PIECE BUTTON 34TH

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Had a couple hours this morning and went treasure hunting. Found some cool finds and was heading back to the car, and it started to rain. I sat under a tree for a little while and when it stopped an area on a slope was now washed out, find some surface finds right away and decided to take out the detector, dug around 15 targets and could not believe I just found a two piece button, almost everything I find is rev war period or earlier from this site. Is this a two piece from the rev war and does anyone know anything about this one. It should clean up nicely but I am reluctant to clean with water, as I have been told it could damage two piece buttons. Any help for ID purposes would be greatly appreciated.

I will send some more photos when I figure out the best way to clean it.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 66

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button!! Congrats on nice find..

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, that is one nice save!:hello2: I was under the impression that 2-piece buttons were after the American Revolutionary War - but I've been corrected before. Regardless, I'll bet that button has a story to tell.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although your button is not shown at the asahelena website thoughtfully provided by Steve In PA, it is shown at the ColchesterTreasureHunting.co.uk website's list of British Army "numbered regiments" buttons. Go to the following link and scroll down to the 34th regiment:
numberedregiments (colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk)

I should mention, if your button is a 2-piece brass button:
Military 2-piece brass buttons did not exist until the 1830s, so it is definitely not from the Revolutionary War era. If your 2-piece 34th Regiment button was found in Charleston SC, it MIGHT have been worn by an official Observer from the British Army who was sent over here during the 2nd American Revolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has a brass back and shank it was made post 1835 when that type was invented. If that is the case, an immigrant probably lost it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Although your button is not shown at the asahelena website thoughtfully provided by Steve In PA, it is shown at the ColchesterTreasureHunting.co.uk website's list of British Army "numbered regiments" buttons. Go to the following link and scroll down to the 34th regiment:
numberedregiments (colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk)

I should mention, if your button is a 2-piece brass button:
Military 2-piece brass buttons did not exist until the 1830s, so it is definitely not from the Revolutionary War era. If your 2-piece 34th Regiment button was found in Charleston SC, it MIGHT have been worn by an official Observer from the British Army who was sent over here during the 2nd American Revolution.

It looks similar to those two on that page but I did not see one with a crown with a 34 below it. Perhaps I am looking at it incorrectly. It was found in the Charleston area and it is a two piece button, hopefully that will help out, Thanks

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smilodon wrote:
> It looks similar to those two on that page but I did not see one with a crown with a 34 below it.
> Perhaps I am looking at it incorrectly.

Nope, you are looking at it more correctly than I did. The button in the Colchester photo is dirty, and my now-very-elderly eyes did not notice that although the number 34 is "written" identically to yours, there's no crown above the wreath.

The Colchester site's button is a brass 1-piece. Perhaps the 34th Regiment's emblem was changed when 2-piece buttons began being manufactured.

You said you'd post more photos of your button after you clean it. Please do. I'd like to see the backmark, and to hear what you think it says.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not got the right books for this one, but the Crown type looks Victorian period, although can't find a match with this design, but must be British 34th Reg of Foot

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button is a later pattern than the one shown on the Colchester site.

As Cru says, it has what was popularly known in the forces at the time as "the Queen's Crown", which puts it in the Victorian period before 1901. Also, the 34th was amalgamated with the 55th to become the Border Regiment on 1st July 1881, so it has to be before that. I don't have an exact chronology for the various button styles in use for the regiment, but I know for sure that this was the general service button used in the 1850s:

34th.jpg

PS: I'm not sure that your button actually has a wreath, as opposed to some corrosion round the edges that looks like a wreath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button is a later pattern than the one shown on the Colchester site.

As Cru says, it has what was popularly known in the forces at the time as "the Queen's Crown", which puts it in the Victorian period before 1901. Also, the 34th was amalgamated with the 55th to become the Border Regiment on 1st July 1881, so it has to be before that. I don't have an exact chronology for the various button styles in use for the regiment, but I know for sure that this was the general service button used in the 1850s:

attachment.php

PS: I'm not sure that your button actually has a wreath, as opposed to some corrosion round the edges that looks like a wreath.
Makes sense, narrows the date to 1837-81. (By Crown type alone, now you need a button Pattern typology to narrow it further)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread