2 Revolutionary War howitzer or mortar shells this weekend!!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I got out for 2 days this weekend in search of the elusive Rev War camp (that included an artillery regiment) I've been researching.

We hunted around the vicinity of the plantation the first day. On our last trip my buddies found 2 shells & an intertwined pewter USA continental army button. I didn't have much luck... I also found one of these mortar/howitzer shells a few years ago.

The first great find of Saturday was a 2 bit pistareen. It was tough hunting but a few relics were coming out. At the end of the day I got a really big 65 signal on the at pro. I could tell it was close to the surface. I removed a layer of soil from the top & I saw some exposed rounded iron! I called my buddy & said "Hey, do you want to come watch me dig a cannonball?". He came over & videotaped me pulling the shell out of the ground. I had been needing a good find to keep me going & this did it! Afterwards the other 2 guys came over to check out the find. Needless to say after this they were searching all around me. I told them jokingly "It's OK, you can look around all you want, I'M standing on my second one". Well, I was actually telling the truth! Less than a foot away from where I dug the first I got a great 65-70 signal. I told my buddy to come listen with a big grin on my face. A minute later I popped another one out!!! Amazing!

Sunday we spent most of the day searching for the camp with no luck. At least we marked some spots off the list. I did find a a Rev War period tombac button within a foot of where I had dug the 2 shells the day before. It was in a hole that had been dug by someone else, I guess they missed it! This was more than likely from a soldier's knee breeches or waistcoat but there's no way to prove that.

This makes 5 of these shells to come out of this site (and I've got 3!). They are a little over 17 inches in circumference uncleaned. I asked a friend who is a Revolutionary War artillery reenactor (who owns cannons) what he thought. I knew they are from a howitzer or mortar as "cannonballs" during the Revolution were not exploding shells with fuses, they were solid shot. My friend told me that "They would be from a howitzer or mortar. Both went by diameter, so it would be either a 5 1/2" mortar or howitzer".

It was a great weekend & glad that I found something to get me pumped up again! It was also really great to save some history. Through my research I found out that my 5th great grandfather actually enlisted at this camp with the artillery regiment. That makes these finds even more special!

Thanks for Looking & HH!!!

Attachments

• image-3475537609.jpg
    image-3475537609.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 176
  • image-2644012692.jpg
    image-2644012692.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 214
  • image-357230339.jpg
    image-357230339.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 198
  • image-4046271172.jpg
    image-4046271172.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 225
  • image-2449855113.jpg
    image-2449855113.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 204
  • image-3473676443.jpg
    image-3473676443.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Upvote 13
OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link to the video (Nugget's) He has one hunt on there previous to this one. If you want to see me digging the second shell just skip to 12:00. Also check out the sweet cut silver Nugget found.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got this one from my other buddy. Digging the 1st one!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link to the video (Nugget's) He has one hunt on there previous to this one. If you want to see me digging the second shell just skip to 12:00. Also check out the sweet cut silver Nugget found.

In the last shot of his finds, does he realize he's got a tent rope tightener there? That's a great find. I've never dug one in 22 years!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the last shot of his finds, does he realize he's got a tent rope tightener there? That's a great find. I've never dug one in 22 years!
Yeah he knows, pretty common finds. They're not Civil War. I've found them before too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread