2 Revolutionary War howitzer or mortar shells this weekend!!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I got out for 2 days this weekend in search of the elusive Rev War camp (that included an artillery regiment) I've been researching.

We hunted around the vicinity of the plantation the first day. On our last trip my buddies found 2 shells & an intertwined pewter USA continental army button. I didn't have much luck... I also found one of these mortar/howitzer shells a few years ago.

The first great find of Saturday was a 2 bit pistareen. It was tough hunting but a few relics were coming out. At the end of the day I got a really big 65 signal on the at pro. I could tell it was close to the surface. I removed a layer of soil from the top & I saw some exposed rounded iron! I called my buddy & said "Hey, do you want to come watch me dig a cannonball?". He came over & videotaped me pulling the shell out of the ground. I had been needing a good find to keep me going & this did it! Afterwards the other 2 guys came over to check out the find. Needless to say after this they were searching all around me. I told them jokingly "It's OK, you can look around all you want, I'M standing on my second one". Well, I was actually telling the truth! Less than a foot away from where I dug the first I got a great 65-70 signal. I told my buddy to come listen with a big grin on my face. A minute later I popped another one out!!! Amazing!

Sunday we spent most of the day searching for the camp with no luck. At least we marked some spots off the list. I did find a a Rev War period tombac button within a foot of where I had dug the 2 shells the day before. It was in a hole that had been dug by someone else, I guess they missed it! This was more than likely from a soldier's knee breeches or waistcoat but there's no way to prove that.

This makes 5 of these shells to come out of this site (and I've got 3!). They are a little over 17 inches in circumference uncleaned. I asked a friend who is a Revolutionary War artillery reenactor (who owns cannons) what he thought. I knew they are from a howitzer or mortar as "cannonballs" during the Revolution were not exploding shells with fuses, they were solid shot. My friend told me that "They would be from a howitzer or mortar. Both went by diameter, so it would be either a 5 1/2" mortar or howitzer".

It was a great weekend & glad that I found something to get me pumped up again! It was also really great to save some history. Through my research I found out that my 5th great grandfather actually enlisted at this camp with the artillery regiment. That makes these finds even more special!

Thanks for Looking & HH!!!

Attachments

• image-3475537609.jpg
    image-3475537609.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 176
  • image-2644012692.jpg
    image-2644012692.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 214
  • image-357230339.jpg
    image-357230339.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 198
  • image-4046271172.jpg
    image-4046271172.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 225
  • image-2449855113.jpg
    image-2449855113.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 204
  • image-3473676443.jpg
    image-3473676443.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Upvote 13

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Mangum. Your research is really beginning to pay off. That camp can't be far off. It must have been a shock to find the two cannonballs so close together.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - you're killing it at that site Josh. Great finds and research. Keep it up!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are awesome finds Mangum! Hard to believe you haven't even found the spot you're looking for yet. Those cannonballs are killer and I love Tombac buttons

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!!

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score !

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Mangum. Your research is really beginning to pay off. That camp can't be far off. It must have been a shock to find the two cannonballs so close together.
I was more excited than I have been in a very long time... I've been over due for something good!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Rev War ordinance! I love the family connection too. Now go dig one of those NC intertwined USA buttons!

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs, get that coil back out there soon and post some more pics.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and finds. It is funny how when you find something everyone starts swinging the coil around you. Glad you were standing on the second one!! Just thinking your family was there will make these finds stand out over the years and hopefully for generations to come. Have you thought about how you will clean them?
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and finds. It is funny how when you find something everyone starts swinging the coil around you. Glad you were standing on the second one!! Just thinking your family was there will make these finds stand out over the years and hopefully for generations to come. Have you thought about how you will clean them? HH TnMtns
I will definitely cherish them & pass them down. As far as cleaning I'm thinking electrolysis although I've never done it before. My friend is cleaning the one I found a few years ago. He's still got to clean the one he found after mine is done so looks like I need to learn. I just hate to use one of these as my first go at electrolysis, makes me nervous. Any suggestions/links would be great. I've had success using apple cider vinegar\evaporust on other smaller items but not sure I want to go that route with these.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!!! I would love to dig a cannonball some day.
You're on a roll. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds and great story behind the finds. I'm glad to know you found history that possibly your ancestors may have gave the items a resting place to be found by you. You were lead to that location for a reason. Keep finding your families past my friend and please keep us posted.

HH and thanks for sharing,

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread