What's new

✅ SOLVED 200 Year Old Brass Fist

ohiofinds 1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2020
Messages
46
Reaction score
163
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found on a site that has produced thousands of artifacts all dating before 1834-the date of a fire at the site.
It measures 1 1/4 inch high and has a clip soldered to the back.There was a british military presence in the area during the war of 1812.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01690.webp
    DSC01690.webp
    144.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC01691.webp
    DSC01691.webp
    147.1 KB · Views: 75
Personally, I think it looks like a hand. That could just be me though, that also doesn't give any clue of what it actually is though.

Also, I see your name is ohiofinds_1... whereabouts in the state are you? I'm from the Northeast.
 
Upvote 0
It part of a cloak clasp. There would have been two sides with a chain in between and the soldered clip was for looping the chain through. I found an intact one (the chain side) last year:

DSC00970.webpDSC00972.webp

Definitely not a common find, I've only turned up four so far and all at very early sites. Great recovery!
 
Upvote 0
I don't know what it is but I think it just flipped me off.
 
Upvote 0
At first I thought it was making a statement but now I see that it had a function.
 
Upvote 0
It part of a cloak clasp. There would have been two sides with a chain in between and the soldered clip was for looping the chain through. I found an intact one (the chain side) last year:

View attachment 1812461View attachment 1812462

Definitely not a common find, I've only turned up four so far and all at very early sites. Great recovery!
Thank you for the great I.D. We have been wondering for three years about this one.It was displayed three times at state archaeological meetings as an ''unknown''
This is a VERY happy surprise for me.
 
Upvote 0
Personally, I think it looks like a hand. That could just be me though, that also doesn't give any clue of what it actually is though.

Also, I see your name is ohiofinds_1... whereabouts in the state are you? I'm from the Northeast.

I do my detecting in the Mohican and Killbuck drainages of northcentral ohio.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom