2002 to present Half dollars - are they worth much more than 50 cents?

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I've read on this CRH topic that halves minted from 2002 to present were not meant to be in circulation and if you find them one should keep them. But I have a question regarding their value. How much are they typically worth and if you acquire a fair amount of them where is a good place to sell them? I realize that value is determined a lot by the condition they are in but I'm very new to this type of treasure hunting (CRH) and every bit of information is greatly appreciated.

I recently started on December 15, 2007 and have found 80-40% Kennedy's, 2-90% Kennedy's, and 1-1978s proof through the end of December 2007. So far this year I only have 1-1972s proof (found tonight), but I can't complain!

Fun stuff!

Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They only way they are going to be worth more than face is if there is demand for them. Kind of like the silver quarter sets from 99 that go for way to much money on ebay.
But for anything that new and the fact that most people dont even know about half dollars since they never circulate...I doubt they will be worth much ever due to lack of demand.

its kinda sad really, people go nuts trying to get quarters made by the billions and the new dollars minted by the hundreds of millions but when it comes to something that only a couple million were made...they either dont know, dont care or pass.

Value has nothing to do with rarity.
As a roll they have some value. But the reason we find them is someone probably received them as a gift and then found out they could not sell them to a coin dealer for more than face...so they were spent or deposited.

chevrolet454ss

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
On those 2002 thru 2007 half dollars. Us mint website site sells for 35.50 for 1 roll of each on p and d on them each. I amazed the goverment sells that stuff overface. In 2007 you can still buy 2001 rolls of them. I guess they buy them sometimes.

It got me why I find them in half dollar boxs sometimes. There is small market on selling them on ebay. Check completed sales and buy it know prices on them to help find out what you sell it for. Before I started searching boxes I was going pay like 24.95 to 34.95 for one each on p and d from 2000 to 2007 to get them fill books.

That was before I searched my first my 1400 dollars worth of halfs and found serval in that batch of coins. I was amazed I found proof coins, pre 64 silver coins , tons of au/bu half dollars . Serval solid date rolls of bu/au 71 thru 76 halfs.

I did call an coin dealer in houston about selling about 230 dollars face worth of au/bu 71 thru 2006 rolls. Coin dealer greysheat they are worth 330 wholesale to dealers . I wanted to sell them to that dealer in houston. What he told me to spend them in the banking system since nobody buys them. He told he will buy all pre 1970 silver halfs I had. Strange market on them coin dealers dont want them or maybe there are other dealers who buy those 71 thru 2007 clads if they are bu. I dont know.

The onley trick I know is try to sell those 71 thru 2007 coins on ebay and hope they sell. Maybe an collector will buy them but dealers dont want them it seems. If may not be worth after you pay listing fees and paypal fees. They are expensive these days.

Beter yet I am buying 10 boxes to search for silver coins. When I find silver coins in boxs I may use them to fill rolls where I can get my money back on buying 10 boxes from bank after I search them for silver coins. Its beter than dealing with ebay on them to sell them. I use them to fill holes in boxes where I remove the silver coins or proof coins and get my intire money back on buying 10 boxes of halfs after i search them becides having incomplete boxs to dump.

Chevrolet454ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread