2004 Nickel Erros???

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Did not grt many comments in the CRH forum so moved post over.

So one of my friends just found this coin. I personally have not run across one like this. Obverse in in perfect condition no flaws and full collar so it is not a dryer coin. I am leaning towards a grease die or just a poor stike. What do yall think. He is also concerned about value. My guess is maybe $20. Thanks

Attachments

• 1463671635686.jpg
    1463671635686.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the obverse

Attachments

• 1463671708311.jpg
    1463671708311.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 121

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the weight compare to a normal one that year?

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I will have to weigh it tonight to see what it is at.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Capped die or Strike through... I'm betting on a strike through grease. Super coin.

I don't think so. It may be an error, but I'm scratching my head on this one. The area where the rims should be look worn and actually slant. I'm thinking this coin has been altered after the mint. Almost like it was caught reverse side down in a coin counter and the spinning of the table wore it down. Is there any sigh of the coin having a slight bend to it?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think so. It may be an error, but I'm scratching my head on this one. The area where the rims should be look worn and actually slant. I'm thinking this coin has been altered after the mint. Almost like it was caught reverse side down in a coin counter and the spinning of the table wore it down. Is there any sigh of the coin having a slight bend to it?

I have to agree that it was likely altered outside of the Mint! It definitely does not look like any Capped Die struck coins that I have seen or viewed or even a Grease Strike. However, not all struck coin Errors within an Error Type are the same and I could be wrong!

Frank

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

The edges are Milled. They slant, but the edges of the slant are sharp and clean. Blanks have that so that the edge design is sharp. That is how it should be. It is not wear. If it was worn, that slanting on the edge would not be sharp, but rounded out and smooth. I stand by my assertion that it is an error coin.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, type 1 planchets are after they are stamped out. In type 2 the edges are milled to give them roundness not angles. I own both types and the type 2's aren't slanted.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
No, type 1 planchets are after they are stamped out. In type 2 the edges are milled to give them roundness not angles. I own both types and the type 2's aren't slanted.

Thank you. You are right. Still, the angles are sharp, that contraindicates wear of any kind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread