2007 George Washington Missing Edge Lettering

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
On my most recent road trip, I bought up all the half-dollars, two dollar bills, and dollar coins the banks had. My only keeper was one 2007 George Washington with missing edge lettering that was loose in a teller's tray. I know there is a possibility of these faked by grinding down, but I don't think that is the case as it looks normal including the little | marks that appear on normal edges. All the ones I see on eBay are graded, but since this one is very slightly circulated, I wonder if it would be worth to send off for grading or just sell as is?

What's the cheapest cost to get a coin graded? My local store said $50 when I have asked them about it in the past...

PM me any offers, I'll post a pic if anyone's interested

Upvote 0

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
tim2357 said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
SFBayArea said:
I would weigh it too to make sure that the edge isn't grounded down
That should prove (for the most part) that its real :laughing7:

after using 3 different scales: the scale at the pawn shop, and the jewelry store said 8.0 grams, .285oz. I picked up a new digital scale which seems more accurate than the others and it said 8.1 grams, 124 grains, .285 OZ
Which according to this article http://coins.about.com/od/errorcoinsdievarieties/qt/godless_dollar.htm

it should be 125 grains +/- 3 grains or +/- .02 grams

since the coin weighs 124 grains I would say that this would seem to prove the coin to be authentic.
nice find then :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
The only test I have not done, is to find a caliper that will measure down to 1/100th of a Millimeter to check the diameter. But visually it looks to be the same diameter as a normal coin when compared on top of each other...

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
tim2357 said:
The only test I have not done, is to find a caliper that will measure down to 1/100th of a Millimeter to check the diameter. But visually it looks to be the same diameter as a normal coin when compared on top of each other...

I personally would not worry about it being a grounded down coin. If you took it to a coin dealer and they looked at it and thought it was real it probably is real. It would seem that a grounded edge coin would be obvious in that you would see the rough layer left behind.

There are estimated to be between 100K and 150K of the Washington coins without side lettering, so it is very possible (albeit rare) to find one if you are searching dollar coins.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread