What's new

2007 George Washington Missing Edge Lettering

tim2357

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
On my most recent road trip, I bought up all the half-dollars, two dollar bills, and dollar coins the banks had. My only keeper was one 2007 George Washington with missing edge lettering that was loose in a teller's tray. I know there is a possibility of these faked by grinding down, but I don't think that is the case as it looks normal including the little | marks that appear on normal edges. All the ones I see on eBay are graded, but since this one is very slightly circulated, I wonder if it would be worth to send off for grading or just sell as is?

What's the cheapest cost to get a coin graded? My local store said $50 when I have asked them about it in the past...

PM me any offers, I'll post a pic if anyone's interested
 
Upvote 0
Wow! If it's real, congrats; I'm still not able to find one. Pictures please though.
 
Here are the photos of this coin, and 3 micro photographs at 100x, and the last one is 600X zoom of the mint luster on the edge
 

Attachments

  • front.webp
    front.webp
    180.4 KB · Views: 517
  • back.webp
    back.webp
    183.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 511
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 516
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    30 KB · Views: 530
  • 6.webp
    6.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 501
  • m1.webp
    m1.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 507
  • m2.webp
    m2.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 496
  • m4.webp
    m4.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 532
  • luster.webp
    luster.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 505
Here a normal coin edge for reference. Is show both luster, and some marks around the edge
 

Attachments

  • With edge lettering.webp
    With edge lettering.webp
    21 KB · Views: 512
so after looking at a normal coin, it looks to be authentic?, unless someone can lathe or grind just a portion of the coin and not touch the luster marks?
 
I would say yes! Go get it graded and appraised, then hide it away!
 
tim2357 said:
but since this one is very slightly circulated, I wonder if it would be worth to send off for grading or just sell as is?

What's the cheapest cost to get a coin graded? My local store said $50 when I have asked them about it in the past...

PM me any offers, I'll post a pic if anyone's interested


Unless you think the coin is going to get a high grade (MS), I don't think it is worth sending off.

Most people I know that are not experienced coin dealers, etc., often tend to overgrade their own coins from what I have seen. I used to do that myself. I have seen coins that look perfect (to me) come back with only AU ratings instead of MS. If your coin has been circulated and has wear, I would not waste the money getting it graded.

Jim
 
jdsarasin8194 said:
I think it's worth sending. Look legit too :tongue3: :icon_thumright:


If he wants to make a profit, it might not be a smart move. Here is a chart I just found online that gives some prices of error dollar coins.

They list the MS 63 coin as being worth 80 bucks. MS 63 coins look KICK A$$ to the naked eye.

I doubt this poster's coin would rate MS 63, or MS anything from what he said in his post. If the coin has significant scratches it will be found to be damaged and will come back in a "body bag", which means ungraded and they don't give you your money back- I think I read one of the major coin graders will now grade damaged or cleaned coins and put them in a special holder that lists the problem, but grades the "details". I cannot tell from the picture if his coin is such damaged or not.

I have been told a coin costs around 40 bucks to have graded. If poster's coin dealer was giving him a fair price at 50 bucks as is to buy it, that would leave a 10 dollar profit after grading it. If he sells it now, it is 50 bucks profit (if you don't count the dollar he spent for it).

Most coin dealers and serious collectors are not impressed just because a coin is in a slab. It is the grade and look of the coin that really matters.

http://minterrornews.com/priceguidemissingedgelettering.html

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
I think it's worth sending. Look legit too :tongue3: :icon_thumright:


If he wants to make a profit, it might not be a smart move. Here is a chart I just found online that gives some prices of error dollar coins.

They list the MS 63 coin as being worth 80 bucks. MS 63 coins look KICK A$$ to the naked eye.

I doubt this poster's coin would rate MS 63, or MS anything from what he said in his post. If the coin has significant scratches it will be found to be damaged and will come back in a "body bag", which means ungraded and they don't give you your money back- I think I read one of the major coin graders will now grade damaged or cleaned coins and put them in a special holder that lists the problem, but grades the "details". I cannot tell from the picture if his coin is such damaged or not.

I have been told a coin costs around 40 bucks to have graded. If poster's coin dealer was giving him a fair price at 50 bucks as is to buy it, that would leave a 10 dollar profit after grading it. If he sells it now, it is 50 bucks profit (if you don't count the dollar he spent for it).

Most coin dealers and serious collectors are not impressed just because a coin is in a slab. It is the grade and look of the coin that really matters.

http://minterrornews.com/priceguidemissingedgelettering.html

Jim
Looks to me like it would be aroun MS, but thats just me.
 
I put it up for $20...I figure thats a fair price to start? how much do you think it will go for?
 
tim2357 said:
I put it up for $20...I figure thats a fair price to start? how much do you think it will go for?

Post the auction number or a link there.
 
I would weigh it too to make sure that the edge isn't grounded down
 
SFBayArea said:
I would weigh it too to make sure that the edge isn't grounded down
That should prove (for the most part) that its real :laughing7:
 
jdsarasin8194 said:
SFBayArea said:
I would weigh it too to make sure that the edge isn't grounded down
That should prove (for the most part) that its real :laughing7:

after using 3 different scales: the scale at the pawn shop, and the jewelry store said 8.0 grams, .285oz. I picked up a new digital scale which seems more accurate than the others and it said 8.1 grams, 124 grains, .285 OZ
Which according to this article http://coins.about.com/od/errorcoinsdievarieties/qt/godless_dollar.htm

it should be 125 grains +/- 3 grains or +/- .02 grams

since the coin weighs 124 grains I would say that this would seem to prove the coin to be authentic.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom