Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

Well another year has come and gone..I've had a lot of fun and have had several firsts happen to me..I found my first Barber dime, Indian Head penny and Standing Liberty quarter. I'm still waiting for my first seated coin and V nickel, but we'll get 'em next year!

I spent a lot of time hunting anywhere I could this year, until all the school fields, wood chip playgrounds and sports parks were virtually cleared of all coins dropped in the past 25-30 years :thumbsup: There were some places I have gone where it was easy to tell they have never been hunted EVER! One place in particular broke my own personal record for the largest amount of quarters ever found at one place (155 at a sports park!) I found 33 silver coins..I can look at many of them and remember exactly where they were found..the memories made whenever I look at them will last forever. The same for the rings I found..that's what's really great about this hobby of ours, it's not only what you find, but the feeling you get when you find it!

I did something special with my clad this year..I bought a guitar! 2 months later, I saved up more and bought a case for it. I spent the remainder on a complete dinner for my wife and I at our favorite restaurant (including appetizers, drinks and dessert!) and also on dinner for the whole family at another restaurant just before Christmas.

And let's not forget my best find ever, our newest dog Tasha, found July 5th at a school I was detecting. I found her tied to a backstop post in the middle of nowhere, abused and malnourished. She's doing great now, and has become just like a member of the family. White's ran her story on their web site, and the gift coupon I received went for a 9.5" coil for my Prizm :thumbsup:

Here are my finds for one year (actually 370 days) of detecting. I've covered just about every school within 15 square miles of home, not to mention the private yards, church fields and parks, which have allowed me to find 122 rings and almost 17,000 coins in the last 2 years.

2008 METAL DETECTING TOTALS
December 26, 2007 – December 31, 2008

3,907 Lincoln Memorial cents
172 Wheat cents
1 Indian Head cent
6 Canadian cents
2 Buffalo nickels
515 Jefferson nickels
1,442 clad Roosevelt dimes
20 silver Roosevelt dimes
9 Winged Liberty Head “Mercury” dimes
1 Barber dime
1,338 clad Washington quarters
1 silver Washington quarter
1 Standing Liberty quarter
1 Walking Liberty half
5 Kennedy halves
4 Sacagawea dollars
5 Susan B. Anthony dollars
2 George Washington $1 coins
1 John Adams $1 coin
2 Thomas Jefferson $1 coins
1 James Monroe $1 coin
1 James Madison $1 coin
2 foreign coins
1 Canadian dollar coin
1 $10 bill
1 $1 bill

7,440 coins

Face value of American currency: $578.85

Here are a few unexpected surprises I was lucky enough to come home with during the year:

1887 Indian Head penny:
IH1-1.jpg

1914 Barber dime:
WOW1-1.jpg

1928 Standing Liberty quarter:
WOW6-1.jpg

1939 Walker half:
H4.jpg

WWI uniform button:
WAR2.jpg

World War II relics:
J5.jpg

MED1.jpg

Gold over sterling:
RIG1.jpg

10K Black Hills gold:
BH2.jpg

14K yellow gold:
SCH4.jpg

14K white gold engraved band:
R2-2.jpg

1904 St. Louis World's Fair silver spoon and medal (found in 2 different cities 4 days apart!)
SPOON2.jpg

SPOON1.jpg

My favorite toy find - a 1967 Custom Camaro - completely intact, right down to the redline tires! This was the very first Hot Wheels model ever made by Mattel.
THOU1.jpg

7 months worth of clad was converted to cash.....
G3.jpg

....and bought me a cool guitar AND the case that goes with it!
G2.jpg

FI8.jpg

And here's my best find - our newest pet, Tasha, an abandoned pet found while metal detecting, who continues to thrive in her new home.
TASH1.jpg

A big THANK YOU to everyone who encouraged me this year, and thanks to the TNet members who helped us out with money and dog treats..your kindness will not be forgotten!!

Happy New Year everyone and all the best in 2009!

Nat

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job Nat!
Sweet guitar too.

Pretty evil of someone to tie up dog and walk away. Glad you could rescue.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, you have done well. 122 rings in parks and schools is awesome! I may have to try them some more myself :). And the pup is looking great, way to go :)

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Congrats Natman... Thought you found a Franklin half, maybe that was in 2007 ???
As always, enjoyed your post... Wish you the best life has to offer in 2009...

HH Robert

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Looks like you had an awesome year!!! Congratulations! I hope next year is just as good! :)

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunting year and may 09 be better. you worked hard for your guitar and you did a good thing to adapt a pet. I have adopted 2 in the last 3 years Ron

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that clad total is awesome!

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bertman said:
Congrats Natman... Thought you found a Franklin half, maybe that was in 2007 ???
HH Robert

Thanks Robert! I found 2 Franklins last year (seems like this year to me too!) Since then Benny's been hiding from me ;D Hopefully I'll come across one in '09.

Nat

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I really enjoyed your posts this past year Nat. Thanks for the year end post. Turning your clad in to a nice guitar and case was too cool!! I think Tasha was your best find though. A seated coin and v nickel are just around the corner for ya!! HH,Jerry

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
WTG Nate ,Congrats on all of your finds and hope you like your guitar !!!!!! Good luck on your next hunt !!! :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
True Detectorist=Natman.....look it up dictionary ;D The Total's are Outstanding Nat....No wonder you alway's have that Smile :thumbsup: Beautiful Year Brother :thumbsup:

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Natman, looks like a pretty awesome detectin' year! Congrats!
Here's to even more success in 09!

BTW, how's that guitar holding out?

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nat, what a fantastic year you had!!

I always look forward to your school and resident yard finds!! You do about as well as anyone can ask for at those places.

Best of luck to you in '09!! I know each year, it gets harder to find the good stuff when you've covered so many areas in your locale the prior years. But when you do find something, it will make it all the more special!! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow!!! Very impressive finds man! You did great in 2008!!! WOOHOO!!!!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great 2008 recap. It's great that you got yourself a few treats along the way. :)

Those rings are gorgeous, and that is a great-looking Standing Liberty Quarter.

Of course, my favorite find of yours is Tasha. She's gorgeous. :thumbsup:

You're a special guy, Natty. I don't mean special special. :tard: I mean you seem kind-hearted and conscientious. :icon_sunny: The world needs more people like you. :angel7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread