2008 United States Mint Silver Proof Set™ (V80) is out!

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
The 2008 United States Mint Silver Proof Set™ (V80) has nbeen released. It is available from the USMint. I have posted a picture below. $49.95 shipped. Beautiful coins.

The 2008 United States Mint Silver Proof Set™ contains 14 coins, each bearing the “S” mint mark of the United States Mint at San Francisco. Included in this set are four Presidential $1 Coins honoring past Presidents of the United States: James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren; the final five quarters from the 50 State Quarters® Program: Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii; and the Lincoln cent, Jefferson nickel, Roosevelt dime, Kennedy half-dollar, and Golden Dollar featuring Sacagawea. Distinguishing this collection are the dime, half-dollar and five state quarters, all of which are produced in lustrous 90% silver.

United States proof coins are extraordinarily brilliant, with sharp relief and a mirror-like background. Their frosted, sculpted foregrounds give them a special cameo effect. Proof blanks are specially treated, polished and cleaned to ensure high quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with hand-polished dies and struck at least twice to ensure sharp relief. The coins are then packaged in presentation cases to showcase and maintain their exceptional finish.

Attachments

• Proof Set.jpg
    Proof Set.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Howeburger said:
There is nothing like the business of "MAKING MONEY"!!!
??? I am not selling them, I just bought one. I though tothers might want to get one.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Kind of funny that they are able to produce silver coins where they mark up the price super high to make a profit (the mint sets), but the Silver Eagle one ouncers are rationed out because they supposedly don't have enough silver to make them. :icon_scratch:

SF,

I think Howeburgers comment was probably in reference to what the mint does.

Jim

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
New 6 quarter series

In 2009, the United States Mint will mint and issue six quarter-dollar coins in honor of the District of Columbia and the five United States Territories: the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the United States Virgin Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. These coins will be issued in equal sequential intervals in 2009 in the order listed.

also going to be available in silver proofs!!!!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Silver_Fox said:
Diamond Spike said:
also going to be available in silver proofs!!!!
The silver proofs are sweet!

All the proof coins are really nice, even the clad. I have been picking up older proof sets for a while and they are beautiful coins. I like the silver ones the best though. ;D

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
They do look very nice... clad and silver proofs both, but I would NEVER buy a set from the mint for that kind of INSANE price. All the coin/jewlery guys here have armfuls of older proof sets, still sealed and unopened. They buy them DIRT cheap from people, for example, one guy brought in like $50 face in junk silver one time and had like 6 different proof sets and the guy got like twice times face for the proof sets MAXIMUM. My stategy is to check if a dealer has them when I buy a nice chunk of silver from him. Then I ask after I lay out my silver purchases if he will throw a couple of those sets in for cheap.

~Dave

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
BBcardsRI said:
They do look very nice... clad and silver proofs both, but I would NEVER buy a set from the mint for that kind of INSANE price. All the coin/jewlery guys here have armfuls of older proof sets, still sealed and unopened. They buy them DIRT cheap from people, for example, one guy brought in like $50 face in junk silver one time and had like 6 different proof sets and the guy got like twice times face for the proof sets MAXIMUM. My stategy is to check if a dealer has them when I buy a nice chunk of silver from him. Then I ask after I lay out my silver purchases if he will throw a couple of those sets in for cheap.

~Dave
Good tip on buying the older ones. But I want a set as they come out.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howeburger said:
There is nothing like the business of "MAKING MONEY"!!!
LOL amen to that!

Attachments

• TOPGOLDcoinpic.jpg
    TOPGOLDcoinpic.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 236

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions